Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:14:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Batley & Spen Byelection  (Read 8696 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: Batley & Spen Byelection
« Reply #150 on July 02, 2021, 09:51:04 pm by Bentley Bullet »
They didn't lose the seat in the sense that they didn't have the seat before, however, they did narrow the gap on Labour.   

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #151 on July 02, 2021, 10:05:40 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Galloway says he is going to court to overturn the result, given his vote count was well behind Labour and Conservative he must want the Conservatives to win. It’s there for all to see a far left candidate wants a right wing candidate to win, and folk bleat about The labour centre uniting with the left

Filo,

What makes you think Galloway is a left candidate?
Genuine question, because I think he is just an opportunist, as likely to be right wing if he reckons votes are to be had.

Great result for Kim, really pleased for her.
Achieved despite a very poor campaign from Labour head office.

I'd be interested to know what you thought they did wrong .......... and right Albie.

Sydney,

There is a good summary from Andrew Fisher here;
https://inews.co.uk/opinion/batley-and-spen-by-election-why-labour-won-kim-leadbeater-activists-matt-hancock-keir-starmer-1082853
I agree with most of that.

Contrary to BST claiming Galloway looks to attract the left, I know no-one on the left who support him.
Many will agree with him on Palestine, but there is little else to appeal to the left, and a good deal to oppose.

I know no-one on the Left who supports Galloway therefore no erstwhile Labour voters voted for Galloway.

Didn't take long for you to join in the last minute Galloway spin that he was really hurting the Right.

Galloway pitched himself as a traditionalist, nationalistic pre-woke left wing. Anyone not realising that that has appeal among elements of the post Industrial Labour support really doesn't understand the Left.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #152 on July 02, 2021, 10:22:25 pm by IDM »
They didn't lose the seat in the sense that they didn't have the seat before, however, they did narrow the gap on Labour.   

So by your logic, Labour didn’t lose the last general election, because they weren’t in government before it.??

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #153 on July 02, 2021, 10:47:51 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Labour didn't lose the last election in the sense that they weren't in power before, however, they did lose a hell of a lot of seats to the Tories.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #154 on July 02, 2021, 11:49:32 pm by tyke1962 »
One of the ways Starmer and the Labour Party could go about healing the divides is to roll out a big campaign and put some serious resources around recruiting for want of a better term real people to eventually become Labour MP's .

A road map in to politics for everyone

The single mother , the nhs nurse on the frontline , the tube driver , the small business person , the lad who wasted his education and found himself in a warehouse on a zhc .

A real programme on a government by the people for the people campaign .

Or would this campaign force the Labour Party to face some uncomfortable truths and put too many noses out of joint and a threat to a cosy existence ?

I'd have thought momentum would have been full of them already tyke?

That's probably very true but clearly my point sails over your head which tends to be the case with yourself .

Perhaps you might want to remind yourself that the so called best education money can buy produced Cameron , Osborne and Johnson .

Clearly you can't see the political space that could be opened up here but then again relying on The Guardian to keep up from the other side of the world has its limitations .

It's a well known fact people read the publications that produces the content they want to hear .

Doesn't necessarily make that content right anymore than the Mail , Sun or Express does .

Here's a bit of advice you'll probably ignore , if you want to read what the tories are really up to or how neoliberalsm is totally on its ass then  read the FT Sydney .

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #155 on July 03, 2021, 12:58:21 am by albie »
BST,

"I know no-one on the Left who supports Galloway therefore no erstwhile Labour voters voted for Galloway."

No, some were deceived into doing so.

"Didn't take long for you to join in the last minute Galloway spin that he was really hurting the Right."

No, I never said Galloway was hurting the right.
I think he took his share of the vote from across the spectrum.

"Galloway pitched himself as a traditionalist, nationalistic pre-woke left wing. Anyone not realising that that has appeal among elements of the post Industrial Labour support really doesn't understand the Left."

No, wrong again.
The idea of nationalistic left wing is bizarre, as a key element of the left is its internationalism.
He may have appeal to some who have voted Labour in the past, but so does Boris Johnson.

I'm afraid the voices in your head are singing again, BST.
Have a nice lie down!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #156 on July 03, 2021, 12:59:22 am by SydneyRover »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batley_and_Spen_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#/media/File:Batley_and_Spen_vote_share.png

This graph that shows that from 2017-2019 the vote fell dramatically, can someone please explain why this wasn't sorted by the previous leader and team?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #157 on July 03, 2021, 01:03:49 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Albie.
I present Tyke.

I'm sure he'd consider himself left wing. He's also anything but an internationalist.

Your definition is rather one-dimensional.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #158 on July 03, 2021, 01:30:21 am by Bentley Bullet »
I wonder if it is the first time in history that members of a political party argued amongst itself why their party won a by-election?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #159 on July 03, 2021, 01:44:17 am by SydneyRover »
Galloway says he is going to court to overturn the result, given his vote count was well behind Labour and Conservative he must want the Conservatives to win. It’s there for all to see a far left candidate wants a right wing candidate to win, and folk bleat about The labour centre uniting with the left

Filo,

What makes you think Galloway is a left candidate?
Genuine question, because I think he is just an opportunist, as likely to be right wing if he reckons votes are to be had.

Great result for Kim, really pleased for her.
Achieved despite a very poor campaign from Labour head office.

I'd be interested to know what you thought they did wrong .......... and right Albie.

Sydney,

There is a good summary from Andrew Fisher here;
https://inews.co.uk/opinion/batley-and-spen-by-election-why-labour-won-kim-leadbeater-activists-matt-hancock-keir-starmer-1082853
I agree with most of that.

Contrary to BST claiming Galloway looks to attract the left, I know no-one on the left who support him.
Many will agree with him on Palestine, but there is little else to appeal to the left, and a good deal to oppose.

Thanks Albie, can't get access atm but will try and read it. If I were a gambler I would not have put money on labour winning this byelection, I would have supported and tried to rally them but as shown from 2017 the vote was going only one way and to get a turn around from that to a 'save' was a superb effort for labour in anyone's books. Labour did slow the slide just enough and a win is a win.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #160 on July 03, 2021, 01:54:14 am by SydneyRover »
Even the telerag says it was a byelection the tories expected to win, that's saying something, aye?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #161 on July 03, 2021, 08:14:14 am by SydneyRover »
I'm quite happy with that I think she will make a good mp, it's refreshing to see someone with so much enthusiasm and positivity, donnywolf, of course the tories will spin it what would you expect them to do? By the sound of it they have probably not put enough into it to win and simply hoped they would win by Galloway taking labour votes and under estimating the vote labour would get

Shabana Mahmood said, Leadbetter was the only candidate that lived on the area.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #162 on July 03, 2021, 08:41:31 am by wilts rover »
I wonder if it is the first time in history that members of a political party argued amongst itself why their party won a by-election?

It appears to be the first time that supporters of a government that lost a bye-election say they didn't lose a bye-election. Welcome to Boris Trump's Britain.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #163 on July 03, 2021, 09:32:52 am by Bentley Bullet »
They didn't lose the by-election in the sense that you can't lose something that wasn't in your possession in the first place. However, the Tories did gain support while Labour lost support, although not enough for it to be a Tory gain. It would probably have been a Tory victory had it not been for the Hancock fiasco.

It would have been much more laughable if the Tories had claimed victory like Corbyn did after losing a General Election a few years ago

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #164 on July 03, 2021, 09:37:32 am by SydneyRover »
They didn't lose the by-election in the sense that you can't lose something that wasn't in your possession in the first place. However, the Tories did gain support while Labour lost support, although not enough for it to be a Tory gain. It would probably have been a Tory victory had it not been for the Hancock fiasco.

It would have been much more laughable if the Tories had claimed victory like Corbyn did after losing a General Election a few years ago

tautology r us

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #165 on July 03, 2021, 09:44:51 am by Bentley Bullet »
Tautology is the only way to go when something has to be repeated that has been perfectly well explained in the first place.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #166 on July 03, 2021, 09:47:09 am by SydneyRover »
Tautology is the only way to go when something has to be repeated that has been perfectly well explained in the first place.

is that what you were taut at school bb?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #167 on July 03, 2021, 09:51:40 am by Bentley Bullet »
I wasn't taut at school, I was a bit of a slacker.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #168 on July 03, 2021, 09:53:16 am by SydneyRover »
the tories still lost batley though aye?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #169 on July 03, 2021, 09:57:45 am by Bentley Bullet »
They didn't win, aye.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #170 on July 03, 2021, 10:00:45 am by SydneyRover »
when Toryrags say they shouldn't have lost ...................

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #171 on July 03, 2021, 10:03:38 am by Bentley Bullet »
I'll have to take your word for that, I don't read Toryrags.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #172 on July 03, 2021, 10:10:13 am by BillyStubbsTears »
It would probably have been a Tory victory had it not been for the Hancock fiasco.

I like that.

More people would have voted Tory if the Tories hadn't shown what a shower of shite they are.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #173 on July 03, 2021, 10:14:07 am by Bentley Bullet »
And more people would have voted Labour if they hadn't shown what a shower of shite they are.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #174 on July 03, 2021, 10:41:45 am by wilts rover »

Now combined with 'The Tory's didn't loose a bye-election' we have a fall of nearly 7000 votes as 'gaining support'!

2021 - Ryan Stephenson - 12973

2019 - Mark Brookes - 19069

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #175 on July 03, 2021, 11:00:58 am by tyke1962 »
Nobody has come out of this too well let's be honest in such a bitterly fought contest .

Let's hope things settle down over there and the divisions can be addressed .

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #176 on July 03, 2021, 03:25:34 pm by TheFunk »
Does all this mean that Rovers will go all season without losing then.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012