Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:45:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Congratualtions Keir Starmer  (Read 80481 times)

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
Re: Congratualtions Keir Starmer
« Reply #900 on January 10, 2021, 06:40:32 pm by Not Now Kato »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #901 on January 10, 2021, 07:57:31 pm by Bentley Bullet »
We'll just have to all Raleigh round I suppose.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #902 on January 10, 2021, 08:07:47 pm by Janso »

You could have a Carrera making puns.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #903 on January 10, 2021, 10:09:16 pm by belton rover »
I had a BSA (Bentley) Bullet push bike once.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #904 on January 10, 2021, 10:20:55 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Ah Glyn forgot about you, what do you think to the taxes the Dutch bicycle spares firm have to pay at source?

Give me a link to the details and I'll have a look for you.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #905 on January 10, 2021, 10:41:22 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Are you better Belton?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #906 on January 11, 2021, 06:10:08 am by Donnywolf »

Yeah and I for one am Board man !

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #907 on January 11, 2021, 06:19:42 am by Janso »

Maybe you should go on a Trek?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #908 on January 11, 2021, 09:01:04 pm by drfchound »

Wolfie, you really should Apollo gise for that one.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #909 on January 11, 2021, 09:26:56 pm by StocktonRover »
I prefer a specialized response to these things

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #910 on February 04, 2021, 09:24:12 am by selby »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9220259/Labour-leader-Keir-Starmer-boasted-supporting-abolition-monarchy.html

Well in fairness to him he now says he has changed his mind, and thinks the monarchy is now great and he supports it.
  They say you get wiser as you get older, no doubt it won't be long before he votes for Boris and becomes a Tory if he carries on getting more intelligent at the rate he is.
  I thought I would give him a boot up, seeing as how he seems to becoming something of yesterdays hero on here.
  At least Jeremy kept you in the news, this guy is proving a right barrel of fun, on a par with the unknown Liberal leader whoever that is.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 09:31:46 am by selby »

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #911 on February 04, 2021, 09:42:46 am by Glyn_Wigley »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9220259/Labour-leader-Keir-Starmer-boasted-supporting-abolition-monarchy.html

Well in fairness to him he now says he has changed his mind, and thinks the monarchy is now great and he supports it.
  They say you get wiser as you get older, no doubt it won't be long before he votes for Boris and becomes a Tory if he carries on getting more intelligent at the rate he is.
  I thought I would give him a boot up, seeing as how he seems to becoming something of yesterdays hero on here.
  At least Jeremy kept you in the news, this guy is proving a right barrel of fun, on a par with the unknown Liberal leader whoever that is.

I'm patriotic and also support the abolition of the monarchy. Despite the Mail's desperate attempts to make the two mean the same thing, they aren't mutually exclusive by any means.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #912 on February 04, 2021, 11:02:19 am by SydneyRover »
how come you missed out on the wiser-older thingy selby

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #913 on February 04, 2021, 11:34:13 am by Bentley Bullet »

I'm patriotic and also support the abolition of the monarchy. Despite the Mail's desperate attempts to make the two mean the same thing, they aren't mutually exclusive by any means.

YOU patriotic? You come across about as patriotic as I do in my admiration for Rotherham United.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #914 on February 04, 2021, 12:04:09 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Amazing how many people conflate "patriotic" with "uncritically supportive of everything the Government does".

As I've said before, there are people in here who would have called Churchill "unpatriotic" in the late 30s.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #915 on February 04, 2021, 12:15:48 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

YOU patriotic? You come across about as patriotic as I do in my admiration for Rotherham United.

I want to make the country better. How is that not patriotic?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #916 on February 04, 2021, 12:56:16 pm by selby »
  I have always thought myself I am not the brightest Syd, but you and a few others make me feel things are not quite that bad.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #917 on February 04, 2021, 01:13:01 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
He is very good at changing his mind though isn't he?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55924153

He made himself look stupid yesterday, quite disappointing as he started off quite well with his formal approach.  Bit of work for Labour to do on some of this as their (lack of) policy on these things isn't helping.  It works well saying something is a mistake when it becomes problematic, but when it's not it doesn't work.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #918 on February 04, 2021, 01:21:03 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Patriotism means showing love for your country and being proud of it. You show no signs of either.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #919 on February 04, 2021, 01:25:34 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
So let me get this straight.

True Japanese patriots would have been proud of their country during the Rape of Nanking?

True German patriots would have been proud of their country when they were gassing the Untermensch?

True American patriots would have been proud of their country during slavery and the Jim Crow era that followed it?

True Argentinian and Chilean and Brazillian patriots would have been proud of their countries when they were taken over by fascist military dictators?

True South African patriots would have been proud of their country running the Apartheid system?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #920 on February 04, 2021, 01:34:14 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Are you going to add true English patriots would have been proud of their country overruling the result of a diplomatic vote, to that?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #921 on February 04, 2021, 01:38:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
No BB. I'll leave it at having established the self-evident truth that true patriotism is not consistent with being proud of your country full stop.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #922 on February 04, 2021, 01:47:06 pm by Bentley Bullet »
It's evident that true patriotism of any description is not consistent with the views of people who want to demolish democracy in order to get their own way.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 01:54:47 pm by Bentley Bullet »

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #923 on February 04, 2021, 02:02:16 pm by tyke1962 »
The problem Starmer and the party have is the legacy they've inherited , Corbyn was seen as unpatriotic with his links to the IRA , Brown calling that women in Rochdale a bigot when the microphone was still turned on , Thornbury poking fun at white van man and his St Georges flag in Rochester on social media .

Starmer as a staunch remainer and architect of Labour's second referendum policy seems a bit fake suddenly putting the Union Jack around his shoulders .

Trying to out patriotic Johnson and the Tories by using the Union Jack seems a bit desperate to me and actually lacking real depth .

Then again it could be argued he can't win , by attempting to promote a more patriotic view he's getting pelters from the likes of Clive Lewis who seems to view the Union Jack in the same terms the swastika is seen .

The usual suspects on The Guardian topic message boards are all ready to cancel their memberships should this approach be adopted if they haven't already due to Starmer voting with the government's trade deal with the EU .

The divisions within the party seems to grow ever more wider by the week .

From having regained some optimism when he was elected after the 2019 election debacle I'm becoming ever more disillusioned by the current state of affairs .

If the party was up against one of the Tory heavyweights like Thatcher you could at least understand the difficulties but the fact remains he's facing off against a buffoon who's decisions have led to thousands upon thousands of unnecessary deaths and gives contracts out to people whose only credibility is to donate to the Tory Party or have connections to them .

The truth is the Labour Party should be 20 points ahead of the government in the polls but they aren't although to be fair he's at least pulled them level from the position he inherited so all may not be lost yet .

There's far more questions than answers right now with regards to Starmer and it's not beyond comprehension that a change before the next election maybe needed , it's still 3 years away after all .

As I've said before I'm willing to give him more time but I have to say he'd certainly be made aware of the need to be doing better if it was left to me .

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #924 on February 04, 2021, 02:09:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Tyke.

What policies do you think Labour could have that would result in them being 20% ahead?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #925 on February 04, 2021, 02:27:06 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Patriotism means showing love for your country and being proud of it. You show no signs of either.

Patriotism needs to be acknowledged as different to nationalism. You show no signs of that at all.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #926 on February 04, 2021, 02:43:42 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Tyke.

What policies do you think Labour could have that would result in them being 20% ahead?

Tory ones!  :chair:

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #927 on February 04, 2021, 02:50:49 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Patriotism needs to be acknowledged as different to nationalism. You show no signs of that at all.

Do you mean like I'm patriotic in support for my country, whereas the EU is nationalist in its approach to the vaccine?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #928 on February 04, 2021, 03:02:27 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Do you mean like I'm patriotic in support for my country, whereas the EU is nationalist in its approach to the vaccine?

No.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #929 on February 04, 2021, 03:04:41 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Thought not!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012