Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:58:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: No Brexit Extension  (Read 92505 times)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
Re: No Brexit Extension
« Reply #1110 on October 19, 2020, 04:40:27 pm by wilts rover »
  We have given state aid to Japanese French and German manufacturers here for years. I would not let them remove one nut or bolt if they leave this country and would put a purchase tax on their cars and spare parts unless made in this country that would price them out of this market.

Can't. We have just signed one of those super trade deals with Japan that we have been able to negotiate now we are an independent country. It stipulates exactly what we can and can't do with regards to state aid and Japanese companies.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1111 on October 19, 2020, 05:11:46 pm by drfchound »
Let's have a think why Chinese car manufacturers might, in some hypothetical future world, see Britain as a suitable place to set up business.

Britain would need to have some major benefits over other countries.

The major costs for car manufacturers are:

1) Labour costs
2) Raw materials
3) Shipping costs
4) Tariffs.

Well, we COULD offer the Chinese a low cost labour market. But I'm not sure that even the most rabid Brexiteer would admit to having an ambition that we pay our workers less than the Chinese pay theirs/ So that one's out.

We  have to export pretty much all raw materials into the UK these days, so there's no real benefit to setting up here on that score.

Shipping. Well, now, see...we are a long way from everywhere in the world. Of aye. Except for a market of half a billion of some of the richest consumers that the world has ever seen, right on our doorstep.

But... Damn! We are just about to rip up the frictionless and tariff-free trade arrangement we've had with them for the past 30 years. So if you want to make cars in the UK and sell them in Europe, all other things being equal, the sale price will be higher than it will be if you make them in Slovakia and sell them in Europe. Plus there's the ball ache of all the paperwork that will now go with it.

What's that you say? America? We'll be able to strike a deal with America that means we can make China's cars in the UK and ship them to America without paying tariffs. Well, we MIGHT be able to. If America agrees. But then of course, you have to pay to ship them 3,500 miles over the ocean. So why not just make them in America? Or maybe Mexico, where they have much cheaper labour costs and already have trade arrangement with the USA?

So remind me. Why exactly would the Chinese build their cars here?

I would think that development costs would be one of the biggest expenses.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #1112 on October 19, 2020, 05:24:49 pm by EasyforDennis »
You do know that MG cars (that well known British brand) are made in China don't you?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1113 on October 19, 2020, 05:46:31 pm by selby »
  I would have thought that when being threatened with France, Spain Holland and Denmark threatening to ignore international fishing limits, and France stopping energy supplies which would be under contract you would be within your rights to do anything you want and deal with anyone you want.
  There again you might want the EU to smack our arse without a wimper, but  it won't work like that buddy, and my experience of life is if  somebody will not supply you with a product others from somewhere else will do to make a buck, and there is not a lot of anything made in the EU we will be unable to get from other countries who will be more than happy to shove them aside without the jumping through hoops we have to do now.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #1114 on October 19, 2020, 06:08:23 pm by albie »
I think 46% of UK trade is with the EU.
https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-goods-exports-gdp/

70% of fish landed in the UK is sold on to foreign markets, according to the Express;
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1294555/Brexit-news-latest-UK-eu-free-trade-deal-Boris-johnson-fisheries-michel-barnier

Now if you stand to lose those markets, you need to have an alternative who will accept your goods without tariff barriers.

As it stands, we cannot replace the loss of existing market sales with any equivalent without penalty.
That means job losses across the economy.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #1115 on October 19, 2020, 07:05:30 pm by EasyforDennis »
  I would have thought that when being threatened with France, Spain Holland and Denmark threatening to ignore international fishing limits, and France stopping energy supplies which would be under contract you would be within your rights to do anything you want and deal with anyone you want.
  There again you might want the EU to smack our arse without a wimper, but  it won't work like that buddy, and my experience of life is if  somebody will not supply you with a product others from somewhere else will do to make a buck, and there is not a lot of anything made in the EU we will be unable to get from other countries who will be more than happy to shove them aside without the jumping through hoops we have to do now.

Most of the North Sea fishing rights are foreign owned and most of our utility companies are owned by European governments. Ironic eh. Who would have thought it.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #1116 on October 19, 2020, 07:16:40 pm by Donnywolf »
... and I see Gove is now saying "Oven ready" referred to the Withdrawal Agreement rather than the terms of the deal they are negotiating right now

Strange that he seems to have forgotten the Withdrawal agreement itself certainly was not "oven ready" either or super simples or easy peasy and other things they said it would be

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1117 on October 19, 2020, 07:21:17 pm by wilts rover »

You mean the German car industry wont be turning up! I'm shocked...

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1118 on October 19, 2020, 10:02:33 pm by SydneyRover »
''The value of the fishing industry to the British economy is tiny in comparative terms. It employs just 0.1% of the national workforce and contributes £1.4bn to the UK economy – or 0.1% of GDP''

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/oct/17/catches-quotas-and-communities-the-key-fisheries-issues-at-stake

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1119 on October 19, 2020, 10:09:02 pm by selby »
  We have had those figures put in front of us for the last twelve months Syd, what were the figures before we joined the EU?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1121 on October 20, 2020, 07:16:20 am by SydneyRover »
  We have had those figures put in front of us for the last twelve months Syd, what were the figures before we joined the EU?

Can't imagine why your last 'boy' left your employ selby maybe you could have a look yourself.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1122 on October 20, 2020, 09:07:45 am by selby »
  You seem to have more time than me Syd I thought it would give you something to do.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1123 on October 20, 2020, 09:48:20 am by SydneyRover »
nope just more time efficient is all

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1124 on October 22, 2020, 10:33:55 pm by SydneyRover »
Maybe this will get the brexit boobies attention, nothing else appears to have.

''Car buyers face £1,900 additional cost in case of no-deal Brexit
Tariff hit for electric vehicles likely to be £2,800 per car, with risks to UK’s net zero plans''

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/oct/22/car-buyers-face-10-additional-cost-in-case-of-no-deal-brexit

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1125 on October 22, 2020, 11:45:38 pm by selby »
 Get some purchase tax slammed on them as well, make them even dearer.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1126 on October 23, 2020, 12:06:50 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Get some purchase tax slammed on them as well, make them even dearer.

And when all 27 EU countries do the same to British exports in response?

Is this one of the benefits of Brexit we kept being promised?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #1127 on October 23, 2020, 01:05:46 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I suspect Glyn it's mostly irrelevant because there won't be a no deal Brexit.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1128 on October 23, 2020, 05:00:13 pm by selby »
 Exactly BFYP, much to some on here's disgust.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1129 on October 23, 2020, 06:27:47 pm by wilts rover »
There is only one poster I can think of on this thread who has said they would be happy with no deal. Shall I go check who it is Selby?

He says in a post on this very page that there isn't anything the EU provides that we can't get from somewhere else...

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1130 on October 23, 2020, 06:44:11 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I suspect Glyn it's mostly irrelevant because there won't be a no deal Brexit.

I hope to God not, but this government is capable of f**king anything up.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1131 on October 23, 2020, 06:45:07 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
There is only one poster I can think of on this thread who has said they would be happy with no deal. Shall I go check who it is Selby?

He says in a post on this very page that there isn't anything the EU provides that we can't get from somewhere else...

At a higher price, of course.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1132 on October 23, 2020, 07:21:06 pm by selby »
  I thought a man of your means wouldn't be bothered about the price of anything Glyn.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1133 on October 23, 2020, 07:26:17 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
  I thought a man of your means wouldn't be bothered about the price of anything Glyn.

Really, and what means are those, eh?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1134 on October 24, 2020, 01:13:30 pm by selby »
Are you trying to tell me you are not the sophisticated well off man of the world I imagine you to be?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1135 on October 24, 2020, 02:55:28 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Whatever you think you're usually wrong. So I haven't a clue what you think.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1136 on October 24, 2020, 09:24:07 pm by selby »
 And I suppose you are right all the time.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1137 on October 24, 2020, 10:10:13 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
It just looks like it when stood nest to you.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1138 on October 24, 2020, 10:11:45 pm by drfchound »
It just looks like it when stood nest to you.

Except for spelling.   😉

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #1139 on October 24, 2020, 10:18:06 pm by tyke1962 »
And I suppose you are right all the time.

There's only the plebs that voted leave Selby as I'm sure you've worked out yourself .

Well other than the traditional trade union movements such as the RMT and not the other sell out merchants , take your pick with that lot .

The traditional left such as Skinner , Scargill and everyone else who was against the EU for many years that we care to remember .

Come to think of it the working class were against the EU and voted accordingly whether they were trade union involved or not .

It's hardly these people who I've highlighted's fault the Labour movement decided in the mid 90's to sacrifice their traditional principles on the alter to pursuit power and trashing the tories at elections .

There's always a price to be paid further down the line mind .

The most incompetent group of Tory governments in their history since 2010 and yet ..........

There's a price to be paid for the Tories down the line too and make no mistake about that .

The Red Wall will return plus but don't ever think for one minute ticking that box in Barnsley East or Central is easy because it aint .

TinyPortal © 2005-2012