Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:32:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Taking a knee  (Read 9047 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: Taking a knee
« Reply #90 on August 13, 2020, 08:59:41 am by IDM »
Apologies AL, I missed the word "pushing" while skim reading. Fair to say that you were displaying unusual behaviour which perhaps warranted police attention? Again, the point being that blacks are more frequently pulled over when there is no genuine evidence of suspicious behaviour.

No problem. I just think the demographic of some cities makes it more likely that certain groups will be pulled up. If this was happening in somewhere like Donny then I would agree it would be strange but certain areas of London have a  vastly different racial mix to say here or Hereford or Exeter for example.
I understand that most black people are like us and just want to get on with their lives, so it really is a shame that the activities of some of their community cause this to happen. Not all Police are bad, not all black people are up to no good. But we can not have a situation where the Police are afraid to pull some one over for a word for fear of being involved in a race row.

Black people ARE part of “us”..

I assume you didn’t mean to but your post implies it’s a case of “us” and “them”..

As for police stopping more suspects in cities, that’s fair enough, but it’s the reasons that the people are suspected which is the problem.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on August 13, 2020, 10:10:48 am by Axholme Lion »
Apologies AL, I missed the word "pushing" while skim reading. Fair to say that you were displaying unusual behaviour which perhaps warranted police attention? Again, the point being that blacks are more frequently pulled over when there is no genuine evidence of suspicious behaviour.

No problem. I just think the demographic of some cities makes it more likely that certain groups will be pulled up. If this was happening in somewhere like Donny then I would agree it would be strange but certain areas of London have a  vastly different racial mix to say here or Hereford or Exeter for example.
I understand that most black people are like us and just want to get on with their lives, so it really is a shame that the activities of some of their community cause this to happen. Not all Police are bad, not all black people are up to no good. But we can not have a situation where the Police are afraid to pull some one over for a word for fear of being involved in a race row.

I assume you didn’t mean to but your post implies it’s a case of “us” and “them”..

As for police stopping more suspects in cities, that’s fair enough, but it’s the reasons that the people are suspected which is the problem.

I didn't mean it to come over in a bad way, I just meant as a group within a group for want of a better expression.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on August 13, 2020, 02:32:08 pm by IDM »
And there in lies much of the problem.  People say and do things with no malice aforethought and with no intent to offend, yet such things can be taken the wrong way.  When we say things like that we don’t realise how it affects those who we refer to.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on August 13, 2020, 03:38:08 pm by Axholme Lion »
And there in lies much of the problem.  People say and do things with no malice aforethought and with no intent to offend, yet such things can be taken the wrong way.  When we say things like that we don’t realise how it affects those who we refer to.

I'm too old for all this. It hurts my head. I think i'll go and live in a hut in the woods.  :chair:

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on August 22, 2020, 11:05:30 am by sha66y »

And therein lies the problem, no intention to offend..... can and at times will offend,

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on August 22, 2020, 12:13:01 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Especially when it's lily livered loony lefties  deciding what's offensive.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on August 22, 2020, 02:56:28 pm by idler »
That offends me! 😉

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on August 22, 2020, 05:45:46 pm by Metalmicky »
That offends me! 😉

If your offended I'll take a knee for you brother..... :rolleyes:

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on August 22, 2020, 09:00:39 pm by scawsby steve »
That offends me! 😉

My ex-wife used to take a knee to me.

Right in the b*llocks.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on August 22, 2020, 09:07:24 pm by idler »
That offends me! 😉

Right in the b*llocks.
That sounds like my ex wife as well.😳

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on August 23, 2020, 07:58:27 pm by IDM »

So you think it is ok to think of different racial groups as “us”’ them.?  That it isn’t offensive to be considered “them” and not us.?

So having principles makes me a lily livered lefty does it.?

To quote Game of Thrones, you know nothing BB.

Darren

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on August 23, 2020, 08:33:24 pm by Darren »
I am a 58yr old man, i supported and marched on many rock against racism rallies in the late 70s and am very proud to have added my voice to the cause against racism. What i don't like is the current situation in this country were the BLM supporters are marching in berets and stab vests, marching in paramilitary order.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on August 23, 2020, 08:58:02 pm by wilts rover »
As opposed to the right-wing facists/DFLA marching through Nottingham in para-military uniform and carring Nazi themed flags you mean?

Darren

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on August 23, 2020, 09:03:37 pm by Darren »
As opposed to the right-wing facists/DFLA marching through Nottingham in para-military uniform and carring Nazi themed flags you mean?
[/quot
 Don't even try to turn my words back on me you prick, no one should be spreading hate and fear under any flag or cause. All men are equal.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on August 23, 2020, 09:13:14 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Darren.

Absolutely no attempt from me to turn your words back. I agree that anyone looking to start violence is the problem.

Thing is, this is the context.

https://mobile.twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1297245319449571328

Scroll through that Twitter thread. Look at the right wing parmilitaries (that's what they are) carrying assault rifles, baseball bats, mace spray, wearing helmets and body armour.

Watch one of them assault a journalist filming the violence with a baton, breaking his hand.

https://mobile.twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1297270144947765248

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on August 23, 2020, 09:28:06 pm by Bentley Bullet »

So you think it is ok to think of different racial groups as “us”’ them.?  That it isn’t offensive to be considered “them” and not us.?

So you think it's OK to have principles that mean all people should "take a knee"  because if they don't they are racist?

And where is there a quote in Game of Thrones that says I know nothing?

Darren

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on August 23, 2020, 09:35:49 pm by Darren »

So you think it's OK to have principles that mean all people should "take a knee"  because if they don't they are racist?

I think Manuel said that to Basil.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on August 24, 2020, 04:23:20 pm by wilts rover »
[/quot
 Don't even try to turn my words back on me you prick, no one should be spreading hate and fear under any flag or cause. All men are equal.

You wrote them - would you like me to call you something offensive as well if that's your level.

You decided to comment on black people in para-military uniform whislt ignoring that the far-right had marched in para-military uniform through Nottingham on Saturday. That's not my problem for pointing it out.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on August 26, 2020, 09:13:01 pm by IDM »

I’ve never said that not taking a knee makes someone a racist.

Making a specific anti-statement about not taking a knee such as “I would only kneel for the Queen”, I do find disturbing.

Doesn’t make me a lily livered lefty still.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on August 26, 2020, 09:25:49 pm by Bentley Bullet »

I’ve never said that not taking a knee makes someone a racist.

Making a specific anti-statement about not taking a knee such as “I would only kneel for the Queen”, I do find disturbing.

Doesn’t make me a lily livered lefty still.

You volunteered yourself in that category!

Oh, and where is there a quote in Game of Thrones that says I know nothing?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #110 on August 26, 2020, 09:57:58 pm by IDM »
I was paraphrasing, if you prefer..

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on August 26, 2020, 10:03:25 pm by Bentley Bullet »
What were you paraphrasing?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on August 27, 2020, 01:30:27 pm by IDM »
GoT, obviously

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on August 27, 2020, 04:59:32 pm by Bentley Bullet »
So what is the quote in Game of Thrones that you are paraphrasing?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on August 29, 2020, 07:03:33 pm by IDM »
“You know nothing”, as in “you know nothing, Jon Snow”..

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on August 29, 2020, 07:11:34 pm by scawsby steve »
That offends me! 😉

Right in the b*llocks.

I took another knee in the b*llocks today; from ifollow.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on August 29, 2020, 08:29:54 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
So I see the Right are getting all foamy mouthed about the wokey idea not to sing the lyrics of Land of Hope and Glory at the Proms.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/dear-bbc-dont-want-live-land-woke-sorry/amp/

It's a sign of the times that The Left would be such killjoys isn't it? Wouldn't have even discussed such things years ago would we?

Except ...err...

https://mobile.twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1299684419918344193

Amazing isn't it how people like Philips, (when she takes time off from being a COVID-denier) who scream loudest about how disgraceful it is for the Left to deny us our history, turn out to know the square root of nowt about our history.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on August 30, 2020, 09:44:00 pm by adamtherover »

as an observation, in his tribute speech, Lewis Hamilton spoke about the great work chadwick had done for "our people". If that isn't a leading light of the BLM movement suggesting an us and them situation, then I don't know what is?

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on August 30, 2020, 10:23:30 pm by belton rover »
So I see the Right are getting all foamy mouthed about the wokey idea not to sing the lyrics of Land of Hope and Glory at the Proms.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/dear-bbc-dont-want-live-land-woke-sorry/amp/

It's a sign of the times that The Left would be such killjoys isn't it? Wouldn't have even discussed such things years ago would we?

Except ...err...

https://mobile.twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1299684419918344193

Amazing isn't it how people like Philips, (when she takes time off from being a COVID-denier) who scream loudest about how disgraceful it is for the Left to deny us our history, turn out to know the square root of nowt about our history.

*breaking news* opposition to war and imperialism existed in 1918.

Who would have thought it?

Ain’t the internet a wonderful thing?
You can find WHATEVER you want to find in a couple of clicks.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 10:53:09 pm by belton rover »

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on August 31, 2020, 11:19:36 am by Herbert Anchovy »
I moved to London in 1981 to find work with my mate from Donny, initially for 6 months and I’m still here! We worked on the building sites around the old Docklands area. Those sites definitely weren’t for the faint hearted and the ‘banter’ often moved from Micky taking to outright bullying. There was a black lad working with us called Leon who was often the brunt of this simply due to his colour. The abuse ranged from racist comments to things like leaving bananas in his work bag. This was every single day, without fail. Leon would laugh it off but I know from talking to him at the time that it was wearing him down. He once told us something that happened to him that I still often think about to this day.

Him and a mate (who was also black) were working on a site near Canning Town when a car full of men pulled up on the street beside them. One of the men got out the car and threatened Leon and his mate with a knife and racially abused them. A very frightening experience. They called the police who arrived quite quickly, but instead of asking them about the men who’d threatened them, spent half an hour on the street asking Leon and his mate what they were doing in a ‘white’ area without showing any interest in finding the perpetrators! Apparently things like this weren’t uncommon for young black men.

Leon was one of the nicest men you could meet, and he didn’t deserve the daily racist abuse he took on the sites by these arseholes. One day he came into work and told us that he was going to give them what they want and ‘go back to where he came from’. He left the site that night and never came back. I never saw him again but I’m sure that his experiences contributed to my involvement in the anti racist movement around that time.

Things are different now and I don’t believe that there’s the institutional racism there once was, however racism still exists without a doubt. If taking the knee existed back then I would certainly have done this to show my support to lovely guys like Leon.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012