Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:39:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit Dividend  (Read 31455 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Brexit Dividend
« Reply #330 on March 30, 2022, 09:21:25 am by BillyStubbsTears »
  It depends if you play by the EU rules or not, When Russia invaded  the Ukraine in 2014 the EU put a ban on all arms sales to Russia.
  In that time line over £300 million pounds worth of arms were exported to Russia by EU member countries, France being by far the worst offender with £233.7 million pounds worth of sales and Austria  that good old neutral country well up there in sales of arms.
 You will be pleased to know that the UK over that time period had a sales figure of £0, zilch, nothing.
  So a big Brexit Dividend is parting company with cheating two faced  countries that cheat and do what they want when they want.
  As an aside I cannot for the life of me understand what Russia would want French equipment for, they have not won a war for hundreds of years, although I suppose they could be running shoes I guess. 

You got a link for this?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #331 on March 30, 2022, 09:39:01 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
  It depends if you play by the EU rules or not, When Russia invaded  the Ukraine in 2014 the EU put a ban on all arms sales to Russia.
  In that time line over £300 million pounds worth of arms were exported to Russia by EU member countries, France being by far the worst offender with £233.7 million pounds worth of sales and Austria  that good old neutral country well up there in sales of arms.
 You will be pleased to know that the UK over that time period had a sales figure of £0, zilch, nothing.
  So a big Brexit Dividend is parting company with cheating two faced  countries that cheat and do what they want when they want.
  As an aside I cannot for the life of me understand what Russia would want French equipment for, they have not won a war for hundreds of years, although I suppose they could be running shoes I guess. 

You got a link for this?
https://www.rfi.fr/en/international/20220315-ministry-stresses-that-french-arms-sales-to-russia-not-in-violation-of-eu-sanctions

Loads of others online and France don't deny it either.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #332 on March 30, 2022, 10:16:19 am by BillyStubbsTears »
BFYP
You can't have it both ways.

You were saying that we can't allow people to occupy kleptocrats' homes because...law.

Now you're posting a link that says explicitly that France didn't break an arms embargo. The embargo allowed the completion of contracts signed before 1 August 2014.

Now, I'm not approving selling military equipment  to Russia in any circumstances. But there's some consistency needed here.

Personally, I'd like to see robust Govt action across the board on dealing with Russia, but if you accept legal inertia in one area, it seems strange to highlight it in another. 

Also, I wonder if Selby could tell us how much the UK delivered to Russia after 2014, on contracts signed before August 2014?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #333 on March 31, 2022, 12:45:25 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
BFYP
You can't have it both ways.

You were saying that we can't allow people to occupy kleptocrats' homes because...law.

Now you're posting a link that says explicitly that France didn't break an arms embargo. The embargo allowed the completion of contracts signed before 1 August 2014.

Now, I'm not approving selling military equipment  to Russia in any circumstances. But there's some consistency needed here.

Personally, I'd like to see robust Govt action across the board on dealing with Russia, but if you accept legal inertia in one area, it seems strange to highlight it in another. 

Also, I wonder if Selby could tell us how much the UK delivered to Russia after 2014, on contracts signed before August 2014?

I never actually made comment on it, but I even if I had I'd argue occupying civilian homes is very different to selling arms to a country based on semantics.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #334 on March 31, 2022, 01:10:11 pm by wilts rover »

You got a link for this?
https://www.rfi.fr/en/international/20220315-ministry-stresses-that-french-arms-sales-to-russia-not-in-violation-of-eu-sanctions

Loads of others online and France don't deny it either.

So you are saying the above assertion that the UK has sold zich arms (or other military equipment) to Russia since 2014 is true?*

*spoiler altert -I posted the figures in the Ukraine thread

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #335 on March 31, 2022, 01:14:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BFYP

You said France "don't deny it". But there was nothing to deny if you accept international contract law. So why make that comment?

My take is that those shipments should have been stopped after 2014 and the investments (not "civilian homes"...Sheesh) of kleptocrats should be seized. You seem to want to paint shades of grey.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #336 on March 31, 2022, 06:03:09 pm by wilts rover »
Neither of the posters who are claiming/insuating that the UK has sold no military goods to Russia since 2014 yet to back up that point.

This question in Parliament yesterday may help_

Why did the UK Defence Procurment Minister attend the Saudi Army Fair alongside Russian Arms dealers 3 weeks after the current Russian invasion of Ukraine?

https://twitter.com/SamTarry/status/1509456352682418176

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #337 on April 01, 2022, 10:25:34 am by ravenrover »
Word of the day is ‘gobemouche’ (19th century): a gullible, open-mouthed individual who believes everything they are told. From the French for ‘fly swallower’.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #338 on April 01, 2022, 05:49:56 pm by albie »
Well, at least Bozo has made good on his promise to reduce energy bills;
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1218703/boris-promises-cheaper-household-gas-bills-if-brits-back-brexit/

Another measure of success for the speaker of truths!

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #339 on April 01, 2022, 09:32:15 pm by tyke1962 »
Christ Tyke you don't half go off axis when you are put on the spot.

Stop prattling on. Face up to the fact that you and your "we'll show you" mates have reduced our exports by the amount you'd expect from a very big recession or a small war.

You've done that. Out of choice. That will make all of us poorer for years to come.

Don't give me your b*llocks about caring for the low paid. Who do you think is going to suffer most from this?

Billy I said the country is completely fecked up .... Pay attention .

I'm telling you what the feeling is from the circle I'm in .

They dislike people such as yourself more than they do the Tories in enough numbers to make the difference .

That's the circle you've got to square , as I say it's fecked up but that's where we are .

It's not a dig at you it's where we are pal .

I can see why you and your circle were seen as such an easy mark.

And yet Syd your the biggest leaver of us all .

10k miles worth .

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #340 on April 01, 2022, 09:37:26 pm by SydneyRover »

Stop prattling on. Face up to the fact that you and your "we'll show you" mates have reduced our exports by the amount you'd expect from a very big recession or a small war.

You've done that. Out of choice. That will make all of us poorer for years to come.

Don't give me your b*llocks about caring for the low paid. Who do you think is going to suffer most from this?

They dislike people such as yourself more than they do the Tories in enough numbers to make the difference .

That's the circle you've got to square , as I say it's fecked up but that's where we are .

10k miles worth .

Syd has the freedom of a couple of passports tyke, he hasn't forgotten friends and family where ever they live

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #341 on April 01, 2022, 10:19:24 pm by tyke1962 »

10k miles worth .

Syd has the freedom of a couple of passports tyke, he hasn't forgotten friends and family where ever they live

Sorted then .

Passed some of the most stringent immigration criteria there is on this planet with a history of cruelty to native Australians and turning boats with refugees right round and back to where they came from .

Morrison is probably the most neoliberal PM in Australian history .

The postcards from Bondi Beach must make interesting reading .

Sold out and hypocrisy would be on my reply but that's just my opinion sport .

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #342 on April 01, 2022, 10:25:36 pm by SydneyRover »
''Sorted then .

Passed some of the most stringent immigration criteria there is on this planet with a history of cruelty to native Australians and turning boats with refugees right round and back to where they came from .

Morrison is probably the most neoliberal PM in Australian history .

The postcards from Bondi Beach must make interesting reading .

Sold out and hypocrisy would be on my reply but that's just my opinion sport''

Correct

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #343 on April 01, 2022, 10:56:08 pm by BobG »
Tyke. Please don't sink to the level we all see too often on this board. I used to welcome your posts as intelligent, reasoned and articulate.

I'd love you to keep that style going. I know I'm a crusty bugger but that doesn't mean you have to be too.

Cheers!

BobG

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #344 on April 29, 2022, 12:12:08 am by BillyStubbsTears »
You remember how Brexit was about taking control of our borders?
https://mobile.twitter.com/ITVNewsPolitics/status/1519691770736558081

Looks like that means having no control over our exports being hammered, because the EU has imposed customs controls over what we sell to them, but us having no control over what comes into the country, because imposing checks would be "an act of self harm".

In other words, as many if us said, and many others refused to listen to, we have much LESS control over our border with the EU than before Brexit.

Still. Blue passports. 

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #345 on April 29, 2022, 12:33:01 am by SydneyRover »
Here's a 6% dividend everyone can enjoy ........

Extra trade barriers created by Britain's exit from the European Union and subsequent trade agreement have added 6% to the cost of food, researchers from the London School of Economics and other universities estimated on Wednesday.

https://thecattlesite.com/news/58435/brexit-added-6-to-british-food-bills-researchers/#:~:text=Extra%20trade%20barriers%20created%20by,other%20universities%20estimated%20on%20Wednesday.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #346 on May 01, 2022, 11:48:51 pm by SydneyRover »
busadvertising uk

The economy is in a mess, we helped where we could, don't forget us on Thursday.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #347 on May 09, 2022, 12:18:23 am by SydneyRover »
warning warning yet another major diversion ................

''Boris Johnson will try to reboot his government tomorrow with a series of post-Brexit reforms designed to boost the economy and reunite the coalition of voters who brought him to power three years ago.

In his last chance to implement significant legislative reform before the next election, Johnson will announce measures designed to capitalise on Britain’s departure from the European Union, update the planning system and improve standards in schools.

He will detail plans to remove hundreds of pieces of EU law from the statute book, cut regulations for small businesses and remove environmental restrictions that can delay or prevent infrastructure projects.

The Treasury will outline proposals to open up more than £10 billion of UK investment through a post-Brexit overhaul of the insurance industry. It will allow insurance companies to invest in long-term growth projects such as renewable energy, which are banned under EU rules brought in after the 2008 financial crisis''

the times

will any of this reduce gas prices, reduce inflation or improve wages? or in fact recover any of the losses to the UK economy from breshit .............

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #348 on May 09, 2022, 01:18:43 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Which all suggests...another COVID fine is in the post.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #349 on May 09, 2022, 08:41:31 am by drfchound »

''Boris Johnson will try to reboot his government tomorrow with a series of post-Brexit reforms designed to boost the economy and reunite the coalition of voters who brought him to power three years ago.

In his last chance to implement significant legislative reform before the next election, Johnson will announce measures designed to capitalise on Britain’s departure from the European Union, update the planning system and improve standards in schools.

He will detail plans to remove hundreds of pieces of EU law from the statute book, cut regulations for small businesses and remove environmental restrictions that can delay or prevent infrastructure projects.

The Treasury will outline proposals to open up more than £10 billion of UK investment through a post-Brexit overhaul of the insurance industry. It will allow insurance companies to invest in long-term growth projects such as renewable energy, which are banned under EU rules brought in after the 2008 financial crisis''

Isn’t that what pro Brexit voters wanted?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #350 on May 12, 2022, 10:50:06 am by BillyStubbsTears »
So much for the fantastic Brexit deal that got Johnson elected 30 months back.

Remember? That one that he insisted did not require a border between GB and NI.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1524464178236465157

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #351 on May 13, 2022, 02:48:47 am by SydneyRover »

the times

will any of this reduce gas prices, reduce inflation or improve wages? or in fact recover any of the losses to the UK economy from breshit .............

Which all suggests...another COVID fine is in the post.

Growth in the UK appears to be limited to foodbanks and fpn's as johnson wants to cut red tape and the civil service by 90,000, which sounds absolutely wonderful .........

yet he's still hiring Nurses and Coppers and .........

May 2020

''UK steps up plans to train 50,000 form fillers for post-Brexit trade
Gove unveils ‘customs agent academy’ and is talking to freight businesses

https://www.ft.com/content/3c1ae9bd-97e0-4131-b7e6-b4d0d5b8f4ff

busadvertising

There is nothing we cant do when we put our best minds on the job

vote tory ....... your future is in our hands.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 03:04:12 am by SydneyRover »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #352 on May 14, 2022, 08:14:25 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
By the way. This from the BBC Economics Editor.

https://mobile.twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1525054013191880704

The Government's own risk assessment of the Brexit Agreement. Dated 21 October 2019. Stating categorically that there would be border checks on "20-100%" of goods passing between GB and NI.

So that's slam dunk evidence that Johnson lied through his teeth when he insisted all through the subsequent election campaign that there'd be no checks between NI and GB.

How in the name of God does he remain in power?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #353 on May 14, 2022, 08:23:21 pm by SydneyRover »
this puts all the lies and deception in a neat package

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-61436985

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #354 on May 14, 2022, 08:40:37 pm by BigH »
Priced in

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #355 on May 27, 2022, 12:41:14 pm by SydneyRover »
Another small step .............

''Brexit: UK signs first US state-level trade deal with Indiana''

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-61604784

just sort out the border mess and take a big one

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #356 on May 30, 2022, 05:05:47 am by SydneyRover »
rees mogg and brexit - just keeps on giving, remember how with brexit, 'workers rights would be improved, how's that part of the plan going?

''Rees-Mogg has previously said the government’s vision for Brexit is to get rid of “gold-plated” EU regulations. He told MPs in March: “What is the vision in terms of Brexit opportunities is that we should have an economy that is more efficient, that we should have supply-side reforms, get rid of the unnecessary, regulation imposed upon us. Very often we were outvoted in the Council of Ministers. We have things that came through by qualified majority voting. It’s about freeing up the economy.”''

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jacob-rees-mogg-calls-for-bonfire-of-eu-rules-to-power-brexit-innovations-6hpc8v3wj

BUT NOT FOR 5 YEARS, if these reforms are going to be soooooo good, why not just do it?

But wait, what we will do is make sure workers rights and every other bit of legislation we can grasp is an election issue ............. go the culture wars.

And who will do the scrutinising of the tonnes and tonnes tons and tons of legislation that has to be rewritten and or scrapped with 90 thousand civil servants getting the boot? remember the tories cutting back the NHS and the Police by 50,000 and 20,000 respectively? that legacy is still being dealt with.

busadvertising

revisionism, we don't learn we change the story ......

vote tory

mugnapper

• Forum Member
« Reply #357 on June 01, 2022, 08:19:59 am by mugnapper »
Minister for Brexit Opportunities , Rees Mogg, asked the readers of the Daily Express (!!) for their ideas on how Brexit could benefit the country. (Not that he hasn’t got a clue himself of course).
And the greatest possible benefit they came up with?
Scrap the EU law on vacuum cleaners having a maximum power of 1400 watts.
I’m sure famous Brexiteer James Dyson would sign up for that!
(From his office in Singapore, where he moved his businesses to after shutting down his operation here).

The headline in the Independent should have been ‘Suckers vote for Big suckers’.

https://apple.news/AdeXg8LE_QbiBBDVzeaPO5g

mugnapper

• Forum Member
« Reply #358 on June 01, 2022, 10:00:38 am by mugnapper »
When I typed 'Rees Mogg' in my previous post, the auto correct thing turned it into 'Rees Mogadishu'. How apt for a man that loves Africa so much, he's sending refugees there!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #359 on June 01, 2022, 11:22:24 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Greater love hath no man than this. That he will sacrifice his country for his hoover.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012