Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:45:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit Dividend  (Read 32178 times)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re: Brexit Dividend
« Reply #300 on February 24, 2022, 10:41:49 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
negative impact ? ,a price (we all have top pay) worth paying ?, ' short term ? ( every year , year on year , to be be exact ) for  what exactly.
 I can't see any 'sunny uplands from Donny.

Just a little thing called democracy.

What’s your view on giving Scotland a vote on independence?

Democracy and the right to self-determination go hand in hand.

So are you against the Conservatives refusal to allow Scotland to be self determining?

1. They had a "once in a generation" vote not long ago.

2. Is it the right of Scots or people living in Scotland? Two very different things.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #301 on February 24, 2022, 12:53:47 pm by aidanstu »
negative impact ? ,a price (we all have top pay) worth paying ?, ' short term ? ( every year , year on year , to be be exact ) for  what exactly.

So are you against the Conservatives refusal to allow Scotland to be self determining?

2. Is it the right of Scots or people living in Scotland? Two very different things.

The Scottish never said it should be a once in a generation vote; the conservatives did.

You know fine well that vote was taken before Brexit and the Scot’s were forced into a deal they didn’t want or vote for.

Why should people only get to vote once on something; what other walk of life does that happen in? Things change, times change and that approach hardly supports the concept of democracy does it?

• VSC Member
« Reply #302 on February 24, 2022, 01:44:55 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

The Scottish never said it should be a once in a generation vote; the conservatives did.

You know fine well that vote was taken before Brexit and the Scot’s were forced into a deal they didn’t want or vote for.

Why should people only get to vote once on something; what other walk of life does that happen in? Things change, times change and that approach hardly supports the concept of democracy does it?

Just like the snp you are trying to rewrite history a little.  I know the person who said it is now a Russian today TV presenter, so their word may not be wholely truthful, however he did sign the agreement and say the words.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-29196661

You'll also remember the many elements the snp stated as the case for independence that didn't turn out to be true either - oil and gas the obvious one.

So, do we have a vote every week, every year, every time the wind changes?

What would becoming independent and joining the EU mean for Scotland? A great big mess is the answer.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #303 on February 24, 2022, 02:13:19 pm by danumdon »
I think also you have to look at Scottish independence from the other view of how a decision either way impacts on the future of all of the UK,

What affect would a possible parting of the ways for Scotland from the UK have on the remaining constitutes of the Uk?

I would say that as it does impact others then they should also have a say in the future of the Union.

Because the country is a union in the same way that the Brexit vote impacted all corners regardless of the local vote then a future independence vote for Scotland should include a UK wide vote.

After all its only democratic to do it this way.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #304 on February 24, 2022, 03:20:46 pm by normal rules »
I wonder what an independant Scotland would do for an armed Force? They have none currently. Would they join NATO?
Our Nuclear deterrent is currently based in Scotland, and unless I’m mistaken, there is no other coastal location suitable for submarines in England or Wales. Because of a lack of deep water close to the coast. That’s why Scotland is used.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #305 on February 24, 2022, 03:30:10 pm by ravenrover »
Isn't Poole harbour one of the deepest in the world and what about Milford Haven?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #306 on February 24, 2022, 03:58:02 pm by normal rules »
Isn't Poole harbour one of the deepest in the world and what about Milford Haven?

You are right to point the two out as possible locations. There is more to my initial point though. Yes, they have deep water access, however, in the case of Poole, there is a requirement that the council to have a plan in place in case of a radiation emergency, including stocking enough iodine tablets for people within a 1.5km radius of the port.
And neither location has a suitable nearby location for nuclear warhead storage.
Plymouth is another possible, but because of the dense population and lack of nearby storage potential I think that’s a no also.
Scotland ticks all the boxes. Remote, suitable storage nearby and deep water access.
It’s been considered as part of the Scottish ref plans in 2014. It would cause a big headache if it happened.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #307 on February 24, 2022, 09:07:49 pm by ravenrover »
I saw something recently where the low cloud cover for most of the year was also beneficial to it's location, stopped sat spying

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #308 on February 24, 2022, 09:09:19 pm by normal rules »
It’s no secret where it is. You can see the storage facility on google maps.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #309 on February 24, 2022, 09:15:46 pm by ravenrover »
Oh come on at least credit me with a bit more intelligence.  It was more to do with what activity was going on at any one time away from prying eyes above

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #310 on February 24, 2022, 09:28:20 pm by normal rules »
Sorry. I was talking about the storage dump. Not Faslane.

• VSC Member
« Reply #311 on February 25, 2022, 10:56:21 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Oh come on at least credit me with a bit more intelligence.  It was more to do with what activity was going on at any one time away from prying eyes above

Russia have spies embedded in the hills almost permanently around the base.  There's many vantage points where you can see every part of the bases and areas around them.  The navy aren't that bothered that activity can be seen, they want to make it clear that we have a capability, that's part of the deterrent.  It's when the subs are at sea they want them hidden.

I remember as a kid at school near the base one of the teachers was very pro cnd.  It was parents evening that night and he was having a rant. One of the other lads piped up and said he should discuss it with his dad that night, he was a missile technician.  The teacher often forgot half of us had mainly dad's who worked at the base in some form.  Cost us a few lunchtimes winding him up mind.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #312 on February 25, 2022, 11:14:54 am by SydneyRover »
68% of Ukrainians want to join the EU to help retain independence and sovereignty

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #313 on March 27, 2022, 07:45:21 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Posted without comment. Other than...what the hell have we done?

https://mobile.twitter.com/DuncanWeldon/status/1507619876537520132

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #314 on March 27, 2022, 08:23:29 pm by belton rover »

I think what you mean is ‘posted with comment’.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #315 on March 27, 2022, 09:28:58 pm by tyke1962 »
68% of Ukrainians want to join the EU to help retain independence and sovereignty

Good Luck with that .

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #316 on March 27, 2022, 09:30:11 pm by tyke1962 »

Democratically voted to leave perhaps ?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #317 on March 27, 2022, 09:52:57 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Then own the consequences Tyke. This is on you.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #318 on March 27, 2022, 10:16:22 pm by tyke1962 »
Then own the consequences Tyke. This is on you.

The country is completely fecked up Billy .

Nobody speaks or represents the lower paid anymore .

They stuck two fingers up and it doesn't much matter  because they were fecked anyway either way .

A totally free hit .

The fact they pyssed you off is testament to that and your own beliefs which aren't there's .

The fact that many people such as yourself called them thick , uneducated and racist means the current pro EU Labour Party leader has no wriggle room .

The Tories are corrupt , not fit for office and look after themselves .

That wasn't the issue , the silent majority wanted to feck you over and they did .

Own that .

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #319 on March 27, 2022, 10:17:59 pm by SydneyRover »

And a better economic future

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #320 on March 27, 2022, 10:24:07 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Christ Tyke you don't half go off axis when you are put on the spot.

Stop prattling on. Face up to the fact that you and your "we'll show you" mates have reduced our exports by the amount you'd expect from a very big recession or a small war.

You've done that. Out of choice. That will make all of us poorer for years to come.

Don't give me your b*llocks about caring for the low paid. Who do you think is going to suffer most from this?

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #321 on March 27, 2022, 10:37:21 pm by tyke1962 »

Stop prattling on. Face up to the fact that you and your "we'll show you" mates have reduced our exports by the amount you'd expect from a very big recession or a small war.

You've done that. Out of choice. That will make all of us poorer for years to come.

Don't give me your b*llocks about caring for the low paid. Who do you think is going to suffer most from this?

Billy I said the country is completely fecked up .... Pay attention .

I'm telling you what the feeling is from the circle I'm in .

They dislike people such as yourself more than they do the Tories in enough numbers to make the difference .

That's the circle you've got to square , as I say it's fecked up but that's where we are .

It's not a dig at you it's where we are pal .

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #322 on March 27, 2022, 10:40:23 pm by tyke1962 »

And a better economic future

If it's a successful one I'll give you that , if it isn't the EU will impose austerity quicker than Cameron and Osborne could do on acid .

Ask the Greeks and Italians how that works out .

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #323 on March 27, 2022, 10:42:22 pm by SydneyRover »

They dislike people such as yourself more than they do the Tories in enough numbers to make the difference .

That's the circle you've got to square , as I say it's fecked up but that's where we are .

I can see why you and your circle were seen as such an easy mark.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #324 on March 27, 2022, 10:44:42 pm by selby »
  Billy, have you seen  the price of Brent Crude oil and gas? They will not be doing any harm at all to the value of exports.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #325 on March 27, 2022, 10:56:42 pm by SydneyRover »
  Billy, have you seen  the price of Brent Crude oil and gas? They will not be doing any harm at all to the value of exports.

Or about 1% of GDP

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #326 on March 28, 2022, 09:10:36 am by Glyn_Wigley »

Why do you keep going on about the country being fecked up when it's you and your mates that have fecked the country up? It's like you're proud of it but don't want to take any blame for it.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #327 on March 28, 2022, 08:18:24 pm by danumdon »

Why do you keep going on about the country being fecked up when it's you and your mates that have fecked the country up? It's like you're proud of it but don't want to take any blame for it.

Glyn, would you care to put some meat on the bones of how Tyke and people like him have fu*cked up the country with him being just a lad from South Yorkshire and all that and his surmane not being Johnson?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #328 on March 30, 2022, 08:10:28 am by selby »
  It depends if you play by the EU rules or not, When Russia invaded  the Ukraine in 2014 the EU put a ban on all arms sales to Russia.
  In that time line over £300 million pounds worth of arms were exported to Russia by EU member countries, France being by far the worst offender with £233.7 million pounds worth of sales and Austria  that good old neutral country well up there in sales of arms.
 You will be pleased to know that the UK over that time period had a sales figure of £0, zilch, nothing.
  So a big Brexit Dividend is parting company with cheating two faced  countries that cheat and do what they want when they want.
  As an aside I cannot for the life of me understand what Russia would want French equipment for, they have not won a war for hundreds of years, although I suppose they could be running shoes I guess. 

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #329 on March 30, 2022, 08:35:59 am by SydneyRover »
  It depends if you play by the EU rules or not, When Russia invaded  the Ukraine in 2014 the EU put a ban on all arms sales to Russia.
  In that time line over £300 million pounds worth of arms were exported to Russia by EU member countries, France being by far the worst offender with £233.7 million pounds worth of sales and Austria  that good old neutral country well up there in sales of arms.
 You will be pleased to know that the UK over that time period had a sales figure of £0, zilch, nothing.
  So a big Brexit Dividend is parting company with cheating two faced  countries that cheat and do what they want when they want.
  As an aside I cannot for the life of me understand what Russia would want French equipment for, they have not won a war for hundreds of years, although I suppose they could be running shoes I guess.

Yep noone likes the exocet aye?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012