Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:16:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 876182 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1350 on March 31, 2020, 11:27:06 pm by SydneyRover »
better ask selby about that he seems to be happy with the current set up.

I will temper this comment by saying that selby appears to be saying that folk won't vote labour because they are no good for a host of reasons, but this type of government from these clowns led by johnson was predictiable and is playing out before our eyes, how bad does this government have to get before the selby's of this world change their minds about them?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #1351 on March 31, 2020, 11:57:00 pm by albie »
On Newsnight, Maitlis was interviewing 2 opposing guests about Trump using press briefings to tell outrageous and contradictory lies.

At one point, she asked if it was responsible of the media to broadcast this stuff, given it was clearly misleading.

It doesn't take much to ask the same question of the UK media in relation to government information.
Less reporting, and more inquisitive journalism maybe?

Still, Trump and Johnson enjoying a boost in the poll ratings, despite their mega clusterf*ck.
That seems to be the way these days!

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1352 on April 01, 2020, 12:11:27 am by bpoolrover »
At my wife’s hospital they have plenty of Ppe but the people at the top are reluctant to use it and very reluctant to test people for some unknown reason

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #1353 on April 01, 2020, 12:20:41 am by tyke1962 »

I will temper this comment by saying that selby appears to be saying that folk won't vote labour because they are no good for a host of reasons, but this type of government from these clowns led by johnson was predictiable and is playing out before our eyes, how bad does this government have to get before the selby's of this world change their minds about them?

This may not be a popular view but I also think the disaffected in this country also have to have the courage to stand up for themselves rather more robustly than they do .

I saw a picture the other day online of workers at Next in South Elmsall sat outside the workplace gates having their break whilst complaining to a reporter anonymously about social distancing and why the hell they were working .

What the hell happened to the working class having a pair and through solidarity telling the management they weren't having it and collectively walking out .

They were more than within their rights .

For gods sake people , wake the feck up .

What the hell is wrong with you ? .

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #1354 on April 01, 2020, 01:33:19 am by Colemans Left Hook »

This may not be a popular view but I also think the disaffected in this country also have to have the courage to stand up for themselves rather more robustly than they do .

I saw a picture the other day online of workers at Next in South Elmsall sat outside the workplace gates having their break whilst complaining to a reporter anonymously about social distancing and why the hell they were working .

What the hell happened to the working class having a pair and through solidarity telling the management they weren't having it and collectively walking out .

They were more than within their rights .

For gods sake people , wake the feck up .

What the hell is wrong with you ? .

i get my news from
https://www.france24.com/en/

today i found out that French workers have the right to walk off site if they consider working conditions are dangerous
the other day i found out that the French do not allow evictions of tenants in the winter. 

which makes you wonder if we ever contracted out of these |"options"    ??

what i have found out about Russia is eye opening. deforestation in  Vladivostok and all etc etc
yes some articles get repeated

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #1355 on April 01, 2020, 08:01:10 am by roversdude »
Just watching Robert Jenrick die on his arse when being pressed about testing. Keeps spinning it round to ventilators.
Some serious answers needed on the testing and lack of ‘some chemicals’

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #1356 on April 01, 2020, 08:10:48 am by Pancho Regan »
My daughter works on the respiratory ward at DRI (now covid ward) which is full) and has been wearing full PPE all day apart from her lunch. Her face is red raw and she barely had the strength to eat her tea before retiring for bed.
The wife is going to start working in the mortuary at Roth Gen instead of her usual clinical audit job.
All leave has been cancelled until June and the Easter bank holidays have been cancelled and are now normal days.
The next few weeks are going to see huge numbers and if you are still thinking this is not serious then you must be crackers!

That's a very sobering and humbling post knockers.

I have enormous admiration for your daughter and your wife for their sterling efforts and their selfless dedication.
I hope they keep safe.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 08:26:47 am by Pancho Regan »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #1357 on April 01, 2020, 08:37:51 am by IDM »
At my wife’s hospital they have plenty of Ppe but the people at the top are reluctant to use it and very reluctant to test people for some unknown reason

And who’s influencing the top managers to act like that.?

For the government to have acted too slowly is one thing, and can be debated in detail later.. for the lies to continue about testing and PPE is downright outrageous.

It affects everyone, but more than most the valiant NHS workers who are exposed to this virus, repetitively, hour on hour, everyday.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #1358 on April 01, 2020, 09:06:33 am by IDM »
I caught some of a story on bbc news this morning.  Perhaps some of you can help me fill in the gaps.?

They were doing a video chat with a young woman, I think was a health worker, who was self isolating.  She had been in a car crash with an elderly man, and whilst helping to look after him, he told her he thought he had Coronavirus.

I missed the next minute or so, but I came back when the presenter said the old man had since died.  The interview continued with the young woman and then the presenter told her to go answer the door where a camera was waiting.

It was obvious that someone had arranged for a replacement car for her whilst hers was being repaired, and she was told she could have it for as long as she needed it.

But - shouldn’t that be what the insurance companies do.?  And if she is self isolating then she can’t use a car yet anyway.  Maybe if her own vehicle wasn’t fixed before she had to return to work then fair enough.

I saw this as a report aimed to get a good news story out, but maybe I missed the bit where they said more about the old man who died.?

It’s great that people are coming together to help our health workers but I was a bit surprised at the bbc with this feature. 

drfcdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #1359 on April 01, 2020, 09:38:30 am by drfcdrfc »
I don't understand shy Gove's outrageous lie is not being publicised more than it is. Surely we can't just accept this as the norm!?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1360 on April 01, 2020, 09:42:40 am by drfchound »
Contact the bbc and air your point of view.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #1361 on April 01, 2020, 10:08:36 am by Donnywolf »
I caught some of a story on bbc news this morning.  Perhaps some of you can help me fill in the gaps.?

They were doing a video chat with a young woman, I think was a health worker, who was self isolating.  She had been in a car crash with an elderly man, and whilst helping to look after him, he told her he thought he had Coronavirus.

I missed the next minute or so, but I came back when the presenter said the old man had since died.  The interview continued with the young woman and then the presenter told her to go answer the door where a camera was waiting.

It was obvious that someone had arranged for a replacement car for her whilst hers was being repaired, and she was told she could have it for as long as she needed it.

But - shouldn’t that be what the insurance companies do.?  And if she is self isolating then she can’t use a car yet anyway.  Maybe if her own vehicle wasn’t fixed before she had to return to work then fair enough.

I saw this as a report aimed to get a good news story out, but maybe I missed the bit where they said more about the old man who died.?

It’s great that people are coming together to help our health workers but I was a bit surprised at the bbc with this feature. 

They did feature the young lady a few days ago - basically what you saw was the story

Car crash - the man stumbled out telling her he had the Corona and not to come near him. She waded in because she thought he might be badly injured and / or need CPR or similar

It didnt phase her and eventually the Ambo came and took him in

Despite her and the NHS s efforts he sadly died but someone called in to feature her / give her a shout out for going above and beyond

Today was a revisit because her car was smashed in the crash and sent for repair so viwers must have asked BBC to add their best wishes etc and the BBC or someone else has donated a car for her to use till hers is mended - but she is self isolating so cant use it yet

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #1362 on April 01, 2020, 10:31:24 am by IDM »
Thanks for filling in the gaps..  essentially a good news story then, in part - excluding the old bloke dying obviously.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 10:58:39 am by IDM »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1363 on April 01, 2020, 10:37:38 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Editor of The Lancet again.

https://mobile.twitter.com/richardhorton1/status/1245232887999406081

I hadn't thought of that but he is absolutely right.

The WHO have been clear from the start. Testing, testing, testing is key to understanding and beating CV-19.

Last week the Deputy Chief Medical Officer stood up at the daily briefing and effectively said it didn't matter if we weren't testing.

Yesterday Gove said at the briefing (after lying last week about how many tests we were doing) that testing is vital and we will...well, we will lie about the reason we aren't doing more.

This is just beyond belief.

1) The Govt doesn't seem to have a clear internal stance on what its policy is in THE most important issue since WWII.

2) When Govt spokespeople talk about it in public, they simply lie.

Does ANYONE care about this? Is this just yet another "shrug your shoulders and mumble 'politicians, eh?'" issue?

I was wanting to give the Govt the benefit of the doubt a month ago but this is becoming a national outrage.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1364 on April 01, 2020, 10:50:39 am by SydneyRover »
Yes as this is the 10th year for this government so they should have everything sorted exactly how they want the NHS and the health in the UK to run, they are in charge of funding, staffing building, equipment, absolutely everything, there can be no possible excuses for what is happening.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #1365 on April 01, 2020, 11:28:06 am by Ldr »
Yes as this is the 10th year for this government so they should have everything sorted exactly how they want the NHS and the health in the UK to run, they are in charge of funding, staffing building, equipment, absolutely everything, there can be no possible excuses for what is happening.

An interesting debate point you raise there (for another day) this Government technically has been in since December, pushing it you could say since Johnson became pm. I would opine that Johnson's ministry is not the same as May's ministries are very much not the same as Cameron or Cameron Clegg.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #1366 on April 01, 2020, 11:28:43 am by Ldr »
On a side note and BST may have figures to hand. Hearing A and E departments have been very quiet for the last few weeks

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #1367 on April 01, 2020, 12:11:06 pm by IDM »
Not many folks are out and about having accidents maybe.?

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #1368 on April 01, 2020, 12:14:08 pm by tyke1962 »

An interesting debate point you raise there (for another day) this Government technically has been in since December, pushing it you could say since Johnson became pm. I would opine that Johnson's ministry is not the same as May's ministries are very much not the same as Cameron or Cameron Clegg.

The characters may well have changed but the ideology to shrink the state most certainly hasn't .

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #1369 on April 01, 2020, 12:15:49 pm by Ldr »
Not many folks are out and about having accidents maybe.?

Definitely, but whether there is the element of ppl not pitching up with minor stuff that isn't a and e stuff as well will be interesting and if so whether that mindset can remain post crisis

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #1370 on April 01, 2020, 12:24:06 pm by IDM »
On Tuesday night I lacerated my index finger doing a repair on our vacuum cleaner (long story) and the cut whilst only about half an inch long was deep and into the flesh.

It was one of those injuries which may have ideally needed a stitch, but I washed it and covered with a dressing from our first aid box.  Fortunately it looks like I haven’t damaged any ligaments etc and skin heals quickly.

Of course this is a very minor personal example, but under “normal” circumstances I may have considered going to the GP surgery for the practice nurse to stitch me up. 

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1371 on April 01, 2020, 12:32:02 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
This form the BBC News Health Editor, Hugh Pym.

There is much confusion over the issue of testing and a multitude of figures flying around. That reflects uncertainty at the highest levels of Whitehall on what is really going on.

It’s a critical issue for the NHS because doctors and nurses who are self isolating need to be tested so if they do not have the virus they can quickly return to work at a time when staff are badly needed on the frontline.

The government target is to get to 25,000 people being tested each day which has now been shifted back until late April. An earlier target was set at 10,000 which should have been hit by now. The daily testing total is still at about 8,000.

Then there is laboratory capacity, which according to officials, should allow 12,500 tests to be analysed each day and 15,000 by the end of this week. So why is that capacity not being used? That remains a bit of a mystery. If it can be solved many more NHS staff could be tested.

A global shortage of chemical supplies has been blamed by Michael Gove. But the full answer is probably more complex.Testing kits are hard to find in some areas. There is likely to be inefficiency in the organisation of testing processes and laboratory analysis.

When the pandemic is over many questions will be asked about whether the UK did order enough kit and supplies early enough. But right now ministers and officials have an immediate problem to fix.

That sentence I highlighted in bold. I am utterly lost for words.

Govt were warned about the danger of a CV-19 pandemic TEN WEEKS AGO. The WHO has been hammering the line Test, Test, Test for weeks. How in the name of God could any competent Government be "confused" about this?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 12:36:37 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1372 on April 01, 2020, 12:36:01 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
then there is the line about the target number of tests.

Gove and Hancock both said, unambiguously this week that we were doing 10,000 tests per day. We are not. They lied. What the holy f**k is going on? This has the feel of the f**k ups in munitions production in 1915-16 that led to Herbert Asquith being kicked out as PM and replaced by Lloyd-George.

(PS: That 10,000 figure. Even if we did hit that, which we haven't, it is still 7-8 times fewer tests than Germany is doing each day. There was a Germany virologist on R4 last night who was asked why Germany is able to do so many tests. He replied almost incredulously. He said "Because we made plans for this back in February.")

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1373 on April 01, 2020, 12:49:47 pm by ravenrover »
On a side note and BST may have figures to hand. Hearing A and E departments have been very quiet for the last few weeks
With the pubs closed no fighting , no pissheads falling over at 2.00am and breaking a wrist etc etc zI am talking about Mansfield and Nottingham but I am sure it reflects around the country

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #1374 on April 01, 2020, 12:52:20 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Gove and Hancock both said, unambiguously this week that we were doing 10,000 tests per day. We are not. They lied. What the holy f**k is going on? This has the feel of the f**k ups in munitions production in 1915-16 that led to Herbert Asquith being kicked out as PM and replaced by Lloyd-George.

(PS: That 10,000 figure. Even if we did hit that, which we haven't, it is still 7-8 times fewer tests than Germany is doing each day. There was a Germany virologist on R4 last night who was asked why Germany is able to do so many tests. He replied almost incredulously. He said "Because we made plans for this back in February.")

And we were just going to go for herd immunity and carry on as normal in Feb. That early mentality has cost lives.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1375 on April 01, 2020, 01:09:25 pm by River Don »

And we were just going to go for herd immunity and carry on as normal in Feb. That early mentality has cost lives.

That's not quite right. Back in Feb the priority at least as far as the CMO was concerned was to flatten the peak and that still is the priority.

What changed things was that report from Imperial college which confirmed the virus was much more virulent than understood. They then realised that they would have to go into social distancing and semi lock down much faster to have any chance of lowering numbers. Any idea of controlled exposure and herd immunity went out of the window with that. But the notion of herd immunity hasn't gone away because the chances of a vaccine are remote.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #1376 on April 01, 2020, 01:25:48 pm by IDM »
But even before that report other countries had imposed greater restrictions.  The obvious question is why did our government think the virus would be any different in the uk.?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1377 on April 01, 2020, 01:29:01 pm by drfchound »
With the pubs closed no fighting , no pissheads falling over at 2.00am and breaking a wrist etc etc zI am talking about Mansfield and Nottingham but I am sure it reflects around the country

I seem to recall reading some time ago that DIY accounts for a massive number of accidents which end up with a visit to A&E.
Lots of people will be doing DIY jobs around the home.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1378 on April 01, 2020, 01:31:33 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
https://reaction.life/why-is-germany-able-to-test-for-coronavirus-so-much-more-than-the-uk/

Read this and weep.

THIS is how a professional, competent Govt deals with this sort of crisis. By listening to experts and taking sensible, early decisions.

Instead we have gobshites like Gove.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=sz1_LHtfuCI

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1379 on April 01, 2020, 01:57:13 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I can't read all this as it is behind a paywall, but reports on Twitter say this really piles into the Govt.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/31/public-health-england-ignored-offers-testing-help-amid-mounting/

And that is THE TELEGRAPH! That is the in-house newspaper of the Tory Party.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012