Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:20:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 861120 times)

Ldr

• Forum Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1410 on April 01, 2020, 10:35:41 pm by Ldr »
Apparently testing of NHS staff has been rationed, until relaxed now;
https://twitter.com/TheProleStar/status/1245387350861062145/photo/1

I don't remember the daily briefings pointing this out.

Having read the full letter and the previous one referenced in it they are placing it out of context. Am I surprised from something on Twitter with the word 'prole' in its title, sadly not

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #1411 on April 01, 2020, 10:51:34 pm by albie »
Ldr,

What is your point?

The 15% restriction is the point of my post...it is not disputed.
If you have additional context, then post it to help the discussion.

The BBC are running the same story, if you prefer that source;
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52114719

Let's not blame the medium, look at the message.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #1412 on April 01, 2020, 10:57:55 pm by Ldr »
I'd say Albie in this day an age, believe what you see first hand only. EVERY piece of media has an agenda.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1413 on April 01, 2020, 11:10:14 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Ldr.

Then, unless you have been unlucky enough to be personally affected (and I sincerely hope you haven't), presumably you don't believe there's a virus ripping through the world?

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #1414 on April 01, 2020, 11:16:41 pm by Copps is Magic »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1415 on April 01, 2020, 11:19:10 pm by SydneyRover »
Ldr, are you happy with the governments performance over it's response to this pandemic? are you happy with the lies and the cover ups? the shortages the cock ups?

Just trying to get an idea where you're coming from is all  :)

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1416 on April 01, 2020, 11:19:44 pm by River Don »
Albie's post above is worth rereading in light of this:

At the presser today Sharma was unable to answer the question (from the Financial Times journalist) if you are not doing mass testing of the public - what is the exit strategy for ending the lockdown?

Unless someone can correct me this can only mean one of two outcomes:

1) the government is totally incompetent and doesn't have a plan

2) herd immunity is still the policy - upto when a vaccine is available next year

Herd immunity is now less a policy and more the outcome of the uncontrolled progress of the virus.

The possibility of a vaccine is really a complete outside chance. It is going to take at least a year to get a vaccine underway. At the very least.

The virus is starting to ramp up now.

And we don't even know if we can develop an effective vaccine in a year because of the nature of this virus and the dozens of strains of it that already exist.

We can have some hope that they might hit upon an antiviral drug that promotes a faster recovery but talk of these has quiet ended down now.

I think we are looking at a scenario where we cannot prevent Covid 19 running its natural course. In that case the best we can do is try and flatten the peak, slow the progress, limit the numbers going into the health service and hope that way more will survive.

This looks like being a deadly couple of weeks. Now is the time to really lock down and stay in as much as possible.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 11:24:32 pm by River Don »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1417 on April 01, 2020, 11:25:36 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Hero

https://youtu.be/LFURoIgkiqs

Absolutely. It is humbling to realise the sacrifice that people like him are prepared to make for the rest of us.

A few weeks ago, I commented on the danger to retired NHS staff who were being asked to return to work. We were told that the plan was to have them doing other stuff to free up younger, less vulnerable staff to do front line CV-19 duties. It seems not. My heart goes out to this man's family.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1418 on April 01, 2020, 11:32:33 pm by SydneyRover »
''UK coronavirus testing: what ministers said and what has happened

Science editor Ian Sample puts advisers’ and MPs’ claims to the reality test''

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/apr/01/uk-coronavirus-testing-what-ministers-said-and-what-stands-scrutiny

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1419 on April 01, 2020, 11:34:52 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Meanwhile, just a quick note to say that we are not the only country whose leaders are lying to them.

Mike Pence today told the American people that they are following a similar trajectory to Italy.

Really? Look at this graph and bear in mind that there is still several hours worth of data to come in for America for today, which will only push the last point further down. There is absolutely no sign of America bending the curve of time-to-double upwards like Italy was doing at this stage. America is in a horrific position and they are being lied to by their leaders about just how bad it is.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1420 on April 01, 2020, 11:42:57 pm by River Don »
BST, Looking at that graph the trend is pretty much the same for all Europeam nations.

Hopefully we will see the effects of the social distancing start to bend the curve of the UK path a bit more soon. I don't want to see that line drift out along with the US.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1421 on April 02, 2020, 12:22:12 am by BillyStubbsTears »
it is RD. But there's a rub for us.

No other European country has had as many deaths as we had today, with the total as low as this. And on that graph, that number will carry through for the next four days, because it is a five day rolling average.

Unless we get some really good news over the next few days, we are looking like being the worst case in Europe. And that is absolutely unforgivable, given the advance notice that we have had.

My take? I thought the CSA was being unduly pessimistic a few days ago when he said we would do well to top out at fewer than 20,000 deaths in this first wave. Now I'm thinking he might have been optimistic. Here's hoping for some better news in the next few days, but as it stands, I cannot see us doing better than Italy.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 12:26:54 am by BillyStubbsTears »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1422 on April 02, 2020, 12:30:40 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Big question at the moment is, what the f**k is Sweden doing?

We were clearly late in imposing the lockdown.

As things stand today, Sweden has THREE TIMES the number of deaths per capita that we had when we locked down. And they have no plan to lockdown. Schools, bars and restaurants are all still open.

Maybe they know something that the rest of us don't. But if not, it's looking like an absolute catastrophe in the making over there.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1423 on April 02, 2020, 01:17:11 am by SydneyRover »
I think the idea is a slow motion train wreck

''Sweden response to coronavirus outbreak divides opinion
There are more than 4,000 infections and 180 deaths, but some schools remain open, and large gatherings were still allowed as recently as last week''

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/04/sweden-response-coronavirus-outbreak-divides-opinion-200401143227552.html

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1424 on April 02, 2020, 02:12:00 am by SydneyRover »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1425 on April 02, 2020, 06:33:57 am by River Don »
it is RD. But there's a rub for us.

No other European country has had as many deaths as we had today, with the total as low as this. And on that graph, that number will carry through for the next four days, because it is a five day rolling average.

Unless we get some really good news over the next few days, we are looking like being the worst case in Europe. And that is absolutely unforgivable, given the advance notice that we have had.

My take? I thought the CSA was being unduly pessimistic a few days ago when he said we would do well to top out at fewer than 20,000 deaths in this first wave. Now I'm thinking he might have been optimistic. Here's hoping for some better news in the next few days, but as it stands, I cannot see us doing better than Italy.

We had the early spring getaway 13 days ago now. Perhaps we are seeing a surge in numbers after that bit of idiotic complacency?

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #1426 on April 02, 2020, 08:02:45 am by Ldr »
Ldr.

Then, unless you have been unlucky enough to be personally affected (and I sincerely hope you haven't), presumably you don't believe there's a virus ripping through the world?

Thankfully not but I have seen enough where I work to know there is BST

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #1427 on April 02, 2020, 08:04:22 am by Ldr »
Ldr, are you happy with the governments performance over it's response to this pandemic? are you happy with the lies and the cover ups? the shortages the cock ups?

Not really mate at all. On the media I'm coming from the point that over the last couple of years the media has noticeably moved from informing to point scoring, even the ones perceived as fair have gone down the rag route

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #1428 on April 02, 2020, 08:10:14 am by IDM »
And now the government is saying testing is a top priority..

Why weren’t they saying that 3 weeks ago..??

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #1429 on April 02, 2020, 08:11:00 am by IDM »

Not really mate at all. On the media I'm coming from the point that over the last couple of years the media has noticeably moved from informing to point scoring, even the ones perceived as fair have gone down the rag route

Maybe because in recent days there has been little new detail to inform.?

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #1430 on April 02, 2020, 08:13:19 am by Ldr »
It's been over a longer timescale mate

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #1431 on April 02, 2020, 08:50:38 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
There is a bit of a change in media tact, however the questions on testing are fair and it's something that shouldn't really be that difficult to set up.  We have the base to manufacture more tests and we have the people to perform them, why hasn't that ramped up more quickly?

On a personal point the vast majority of the company I work for are being furloughed next week, which is a real sad thing to see.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1432 on April 02, 2020, 08:52:03 am by SydneyRover »

Thanks, I don't see a lot of that outside of the media you'd expect it from eg Sun and Mirror, although I spend plenty of time going through the press I can't and don't even try to cover it all. This forum does gives me and I really appreciate that from all contributors including all those with differing views to mine is the personal stories the issues that affect people it's a really good window/snapshot of real life for this and all topics.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #1433 on April 02, 2020, 10:34:35 am by tyke1962 »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1434 on April 02, 2020, 11:38:38 am by SydneyRover »
I read about his sacking the other day, he's right a consumer boycott is the only way, not that I buy much from them anyway Tyke.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1435 on April 02, 2020, 12:20:46 pm by Sprotyrover »
The fact that the top four goons leading this countries fight are all infected sends a message

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #1436 on April 02, 2020, 01:14:38 pm by The Red Baron »
There is a bit of a change in media tact, however the questions on testing are fair and it's something that shouldn't really be that difficult to set up.  We have the base to manufacture more tests and we have the people to perform them, why hasn't that ramped up more quickly?

On a personal point the vast majority of the company I work for are being furloughed next week, which is a real sad thing to see.

The mistake the Government has made over Testing is not putting an individual, ideally a Cabinet Minister, in charge of it. It needs a do-er, someone who will roll up his or her sleeves and identify and deal with blockages in the system. They should probably do the same with PPE for health and social care workers.

I was watching a documentary about WW1 the other day. It talked about the shell crisis, when early in the war the British Army didn't have enough shells. Lloyd-George was made Minister for Munitions and prioritised the manufacture of shells. He may have been corrupt and an adulterer, but he was a man who got things done when needed.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1437 on April 02, 2020, 01:19:15 pm by Sprotyrover »

The mistake the Government has made over Testing is not putting an individual, ideally a Cabinet Minister, in charge of it. It needs a do-er, someone who will roll up his or her sleeves and identify and deal with blockages in the system. They should probably do the same with PPE for health and social care workers.

I was watching a documentary about WW1 the other day. It talked about the shell crisis, when early in the war the British Army didn't have enough shells. Lloyd-George was made Minister for Munitions and prioritised the manufacture of shells. He may have been corrupt and an adulterer, but he was a man who got things done when needed.

The answer was to introduce the licensing Act which shut the Pubs from 3pm till 5pm thereby keeping the British worker in the Munitions Factory.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1438 on April 02, 2020, 01:36:49 pm by selby »
  It looks as if the German way of testing is considered to be wrong in Germany and they are wanting to turn to the method used in the UK.

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #1439 on April 02, 2020, 01:54:12 pm by foxbat »
Germany now taking in #COVID19 acute cases from France & Italy into its ICUs

Damn EU solidarity.

It also has a higher testing rate/fewer deaths than the UK.
Perhaps something to do with a well-funded health service combined with a competent Government focused on saving lives?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012