Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:48:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 877035 times)

foxbat

• VSC Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1440 on April 02, 2020, 01:57:32 pm by foxbat »
It seems Germany gets just about everything right.

If the UK Government were capable of learning from the successes of others, they could learn a lot from Germany.

Unfortunately for us, as an "independent nation", they seem to think they know it all.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1441 on April 02, 2020, 01:59:05 pm by bpoolrover »
Germany now taking in #COVID19 acute cases from France & Italy into its ICUs

Damn EU solidarity.

It also has a higher testing rate/fewer deaths than the UK.
Perhaps something to do with a well-funded health service combined with a competent Government focused on saving lives?
people would be furious in this country paying 7percent of there salary into health insurance thou

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1442 on April 02, 2020, 02:03:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
569 deaths today.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #1443 on April 02, 2020, 02:06:25 pm by Ldr »
Bad and sad but not massive increase day on day?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1444 on April 02, 2020, 02:07:00 pm by selby »
  Lot's of their testing has been on tourists returning from ski holidays but before in a lot of situations and the incubation period had run it's full course, so did not enter quarantine and before any lock down.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1445 on April 02, 2020, 02:15:14 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Bad and sad but not massive increase day on day?

Awful increase week-on-week though.

We have had a doubling time of three days over the past week. That is far worse than Italy or France at the same stage.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #1446 on April 02, 2020, 02:32:07 pm by Copps is Magic »
  It looks as if the German way of testing is considered to be wrong in Germany and they are wanting to turn to the method used in the UK.

Can you substantiate that please?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1447 on April 02, 2020, 02:37:59 pm by selby »
  In the German news papers criticising the government.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1448 on April 02, 2020, 03:03:07 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
  In the German news papers criticising the government.

You got a link to that? I'd be interested in reading it.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #1449 on April 02, 2020, 03:05:11 pm by GazLaz »

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1450 on April 02, 2020, 03:14:47 pm by adamtherover »
So, china have as near as dammit stopped this thing, are they lieing through their teeth over numbers, or actually performed miracles considering how we know how they respect hygiene?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1451 on April 02, 2020, 03:21:49 pm by ravenrover »
You may say that, I couldn't possibly comment
Here's a thought why not let the Army take over this crisis?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #1452 on April 02, 2020, 03:28:40 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
https://twitter.com/imartincorena/status/1245696648040374272?s=21

An interesting thread.

It is interesting. Whilst the need for testing of medical workers is obvious, I'm not sure it is important for anyone else.

The bigger issue for me is people going out. I run most days, only time I'm leaving the house at the moment.  It is noticeable over the last 2 weeks that it is getting busier about and many more cars on the road than previous.  I do feel after a week or so some are relaxing etc.

I've also seen people meeting in the street hugging etc amongst other things, the real danger is not government it is us.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #1453 on April 02, 2020, 03:43:11 pm by The Red Baron »

An interesting thread.

It is interesting. Whilst the need for testing of medical workers is obvious, I'm not sure it is important for anyone else.

The bigger issue for me is people going out. I run most days, only time I'm leaving the house at the moment.  It is noticeable over the last 2 weeks that it is getting busier about and many more cars on the road than previous.  I do feel after a week or so some are relaxing etc.

I've also seen people meeting in the street hugging etc amongst other things, the real danger is not government it is us.

I agree totally with your point on health workers. Those who are self-isolating may not have it and could then return to work.

As far as the general population are concerned, testing is only useful if you THINK you might have the virus, in which case you should be self isolating, or if someone in your family has it. Otherwise I could be tested tomorrow and test negative but catch the virus the day after.

The real game changer would be the antibody test. Using that to find out who has or hasn't had the virus would help massively in getting the country going again.

I live in rather a quiet area but when I have been out to get supplies I've noticed that traffic is very much down on normal- although I always think the schools being open/ shut has a big bearing on traffic volumes.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1454 on April 02, 2020, 04:08:18 pm by selby »
   Billy the Der Speigel news paper is quite slating, reporting a 17,000 shortage of nurses a health system that is getting over run, having a three tier care system based on the severity of the patient, the health workers being short of equipment, and frightened for their own well being, much the same as here.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #1455 on April 02, 2020, 04:30:51 pm by Bentley Bullet »
People will be using the situation for politicking in every country.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1456 on April 02, 2020, 04:42:13 pm by selby »
  Very much like this forum since June 2016 BB, probably been counter productive, but don't say anything.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1457 on April 02, 2020, 04:50:22 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
   Billy the Der Speigel news paper is quite slating, reporting a 17,000 shortage of nurses a health system that is getting over run, having a three tier care system based on the severity of the patient, the health workers being short of equipment, and frightened for their own well being, much the same as here.

So. Can you send me a link to the article(s)? save me having to second guess what you have read.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #1458 on April 02, 2020, 04:50:40 pm by Copps is Magic »
People won't read anything unless you don't post a link.

There was quite a big claim made in the previous page that the german testing system is 'considered wrong' and they are turning to the UK method. If this was true, I'll be honest, it would certainly challenge my assumptions quite significantly. I am willing to read it.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #1459 on April 02, 2020, 04:52:41 pm by Copps is Magic »

An interesting thread.

I agree totally with your point on health workers. Those who are self-isolating may not have it and could then return to work.

As far as the general population are concerned, testing is only useful if you THINK you might have the virus, in which case you should be self isolating, or if someone in your family has it. Otherwise I could be tested tomorrow and test negative but catch the virus the day after.

Why?

We know a substantial percentage of people are asymptomatic or have mild symptoms. They should isolate themselve just as equally as someone with severe symptoms. Every isolation at the earlier stages makes a difference.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1460 on April 02, 2020, 05:14:03 pm by River Don »
So, china have as near as dammit stopped this thing, are they lieing through their teeth over numbers, or actually performed miracles considering how we know how they respect hygiene?

It's more actuate say China has paused this thing. They are finding where they relax restrictions the virus emerges again.

China's numbers are also questionable.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1461 on April 02, 2020, 05:35:06 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
So much unkown about this - deaths, cases, initial cases, testing quality, testing numbers, how deaths are counted, how all that varies massively country too country etc etc. It'll be sometime before a coherent real picture emerges, and meanwhile all kinds of organisations, individuals and governments will be casting various levels of certainty on it when they know very little. It's a hugely changing picture on every level.

re Sweden - it seems they are about to hit the downslope on their critical care new admissions. See chart about half way down the page here:
https://www.icuregswe.org/en/data--results/covid-19-in-swedish-intensive-care/

Ultimately everyone will get the virus, more or less, maybe those in extreme isolation for the next few months can avoid it.

There's no point in a vaccine for THIS virus. The vaccine angle is a mindless exercise unless it's going to be sold as a pointless but profitable mass vaccination across the world, or if they think they can adapt what they have for future versions of covid19.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #1462 on April 02, 2020, 05:55:22 pm by Copps is Magic »
There's no point in a vaccine for THIS virus. The vaccine angle is a mindless exercise unless it's going to be sold as a pointless but profitable mass vaccination across the world, or if they think they can adapt what they have for future versions of covid19.

That seems a bit too quick to say. As you say we don't know a lot. We don't know how long immunity lasts (I have only seen animal tests at this stage - and even those are not longitudinal, which is really what you need). For Other coronaviruses (such as the common cold) we know people do not build up immunity for long. Until we know how long people have immunity for we can't say anything about the usefulness of a vaccine.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #1463 on April 02, 2020, 06:03:21 pm by scawsby steve »
So much unkown about this - deaths, cases, initial cases, testing quality, testing numbers, how deaths are counted, how all that varies massively country too country etc etc. It'll be sometime before a coherent real picture emerges, and meanwhile all kinds of organisations, individuals and governments will be casting various levels of certainty on it when they know very little. It's a hugely changing picture on every level.

re Sweden - it seems they are about to hit the downslope on their critical care new admissions. See chart about half way down the page here:
https://www.icuregswe.org/en/data--results/covid-19-in-swedish-intensive-care/

Ultimately everyone will get the virus, more or less, maybe those in extreme isolation for the next few months can avoid it.

Ultimately everyone will get the virus, and there's no point in a vaccine for it? By God BRR, according to that there's not much hope for those of us in our 70s being around next year.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1464 on April 02, 2020, 06:03:43 pm by River Don »
Bristol, might a potential vaccine for this not be unlike a flu vaccine?

As far as I know flu vaccines are developed all the time and they aren't the most effective thing but the do offer some protection to vulnerable groups. Older people in particular.

Might we not eventually end up in a situation where this virus mutates into numerous, hopefully less deadly strains and then perhaps we see it pop up during the winters? Then might vaccines offer some protection?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 06:16:27 pm by River Don »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1465 on April 02, 2020, 06:10:31 pm by River Don »
I was sad to read of Eddie Large being taken by CV19.

Little & Large were a cheap version of the Morecambe & Wise, ask your Dad. But they were prime time Saturday night fare at one point. Another familiar face from my youth gone.

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #1466 on April 02, 2020, 07:03:20 pm by foxbat »
Supermarkets have said Matt Hancock’s claim they will deliver food to those who are self-isolating over coronavirus fears was “totally made up”.

The health secretary said during a Question Time appearance on Thursday that the government was in talks with retailers about home deliveries.

“We are working with the supermarkets to make sure that, if people are self-isolating, then we will be able to get the food and supplies that they need,” he said.

However, supermarket sources have said they have not been involved in discussions.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #1467 on April 02, 2020, 07:07:58 pm by Ldr »
Seems antivaxxers are getting a lesson in how life works without vaccinations

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #1468 on April 02, 2020, 07:08:29 pm by foxbat »
Rich Aixill

@badgerthecat2

Thinking back on my stay in hospital last week -

I didn't see anyone from the Tax Payers Alliance or any Brexit Party grifters
nor Free Speech gobshites.

I did see Asian doctors & European nursing staff - none of whom had correct PPE
to wear & all were risking their life for mine

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #1469 on April 02, 2020, 07:10:36 pm by Ldr »
Any reason you didnt move out of this country when you had the chance, you quite clearly hate it

TinyPortal © 2005-2012