Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:06:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 877360 times)

Ldr

• Forum Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #15030 on December 15, 2021, 08:19:32 pm by Ldr »
Seems to me certain people find a comfort in being scared, ridiculous as it sounds

Still on that line?

Always on the truth mate. How you feeling? Still no symptoms?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #15031 on December 15, 2021, 08:20:32 pm by Nudga »
OK, next one. If all these people have had their jabs of hope and all these people have had covid and thousands upon thousands of people are testing positive for Covid every day, why are we not at herd immunity yet?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15032 on December 15, 2021, 08:24:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Seems to me certain people find a comfort in being scared, ridiculous as it sounds

Still on that line?

None thanks. And I'm not massively concerned for me. But it's not just about being concerned for yourself, is it?

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #15033 on December 15, 2021, 08:25:50 pm by Ldr »

Still on that line?

None thanks. And I'm not massively concerned for me. But it's not just about being concerned for yourself, is it?

Good to hear, and I guess it depends on your view of life as we have discussed many times. Hope you stay well and the family is back on top form soon

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15034 on December 15, 2021, 08:27:31 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
OK, next one. If all these people have had their jabs of hope and all these people have had covid and thousands upon thousands of people are testing positive for Covid every day, why are we not at herd immunity yet?

1) Because Omicron has mutations that means it can evade the protection of existing antibodies.

2) Because antibody count falls over time after a previous infection or vaccination.

Or, yeah, maybe it's all made up by the Bad People.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15035 on December 15, 2021, 08:29:45 pm by wilts rover »
Not at all, you're twisting things again.

OK, maybe I'll put it a different way. Non of my vax free friends have been ill with this "bas**rd". Quite a few of my vaxxed family and friends have had covid after their jab of hope. Non of them died, non of them went to hospital.

And not just them Billy, I've said before that I'm in and out of customers houses and I'm hearing similar stories.

I've evaded the Original strain, the Kent scarient, the Delta scarient, the Omicron scarient, the f**kin Megatron scarient and all little bas**rd scarients in-between.

Just been discussing things with the doc this evening. Seeing as how you have the same medical qualifications and knowledge as him - can you guarantee I will still be here in March?

And everyone else in the forum?

Or is it only yourself you are bothered about?

I don't know your medical history, I don't know if you're fat etc

But you've had your arms jabbed with hope three times so you'll be OK won't you.

Won't you?

We all die nudga - it would be good to put it off as long as possible.

It's not me making claims. I put the questions to you for your expert medical opinion that you feel free to share and seem quite certain about.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #15036 on December 15, 2021, 08:34:00 pm by Nudga »

1) Because Omicron has mutations that means it can evade the protection of existing antibodies.

2) Because antibody count falls over time after a previous infection or vaccination.

Or, yeah, maybe it's all made up by the Bad People.

The Bad People are on a right touch though eh.

Anyway, I'd best dash, I'm going to eat a bacon butty before my "health passport" tells me I've had my meat quota for the month.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #15037 on December 15, 2021, 08:34:40 pm by scawsby steve »
So the South African doctor who first discovered the Omicron strain has said that the UK is unnecessarily panicking over it, because despite it being extremely virulent, it is also extremely mild, with nowhere near the voracity of the Delta strain.

Don't shoot the messenger.

It should also be remembered of course that the average age in South Africa is 28, whilst it is 40 in the UK. So for the most part the doctor will be seeing the effect of the virus on younger people than will be affected here.

Just something to consider whilst considering.

No, she just said the UK is panicking over something that is only mild.

Are you saying she's wrong?

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #15038 on December 15, 2021, 08:36:18 pm by Nudga »

OK, maybe I'll put it a different way. Non of my vax free friends have been ill with this "bas**rd". Quite a few of my vaxxed family and friends have had covid after their jab of hope. Non of them died, non of them went to hospital.

And not just them Billy, I've said before that I'm in and out of customers houses and I'm hearing similar stories.

I've evaded the Original strain, the Kent scarient, the Delta scarient, the Omicron scarient, the f**kin Megatron scarient and all little bas**rd scarients in-between.

Just been discussing things with the doc this evening. Seeing as how you have the same medical qualifications and knowledge as him - can you guarantee I will still be here in March?

But you've had your arms jabbed with hope three times so you'll be OK won't you.

Won't you?

It's not me making claims. I put the questions to you for your expert medical opinion that you feel free to share and seem quite certain about.

Pretty much opposite to your expert medical opinion.

I choose not to shit in my pants daily and live in fear.
Try it, it's actually good for your health and mental well being.

Toodle pip Chaps.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15039 on December 15, 2021, 08:40:20 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I love the attitude of these big hard bas**rds.

"I'm so f**king hard I don't worry about the virus...killing other people."

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #15040 on December 15, 2021, 08:41:34 pm by scawsby steve »
Based on doubling cases every 2 days, Theres another 5 doubling occasions that can occur between now and Xmas.
78600 cases today.
Do the maths.
That’s a lot of cases.
A lot of people isolating by Xmas day, and what after that?
This will have a huge effect on the national infrastructure. Let alone the nhs.

It's not QUITE as bad as that. Omicron still isn't the dominant strain. So Omicron cases are doubling every two days, but the total number isn't doubling every two days. But as Omicron cases explode and a bigger and bigger % of the total cases are Omicron, the rate at which the total number of cases doubles will shorten dramatically.

Last week, the total number of daily cases was doubling every 40 days or so. At the moment, that's down to below 20 days. I suspect by the weekend that'll be down into single figures. Then it's anyone's guess.

But the Omicron wave is here and it is going to get VERY big, VERY quickly. Some of the more boneheaded ones in here are about to find out what "Living with it" actually means.

Good luck everyone. Be sensible and careful.

Boneheaded? You just can't help yourself can you. Does that include the SA doctor who said it's only mild?

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #15041 on December 15, 2021, 08:47:49 pm by Nudga »
I love the attitude of these big hard bas**rds.

"I'm so f**king hard I don't worry about the virus...killing other people."

Oh stop it you bloody big puff

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15042 on December 15, 2021, 08:58:37 pm by wilts rover »
So the South African doctor who first discovered the Omicron strain has said that the UK is unnecessarily panicking over it, because despite it being extremely virulent, it is also extremely mild, with nowhere near the voracity of the Delta strain.

Don't shoot the messenger.

It should also be remembered of course that the average age in South Africa is 28, whilst it is 40 in the UK. So for the most part the doctor will be seeing the effect of the virus on younger people than will be affected here.

Just something to consider whilst considering.

No, she just said the UK is panicking over something that is only mild.

Are you saying she's wrong?

No. But the Chief Medical Officer and Head of the UK Health Security Agency have both said today it is not yet possible to say that. Are you saying they are wrong?

We have always known that for most people covid is mild and only affects a small percentage of those infected. But a small percentage of a very large number can be a lot of people.

These are todays figures from South Africa btw, biggest one-day increase on record

1 in 66 who catch it were hospitalised. The population of the UK is roughly 72 million. You can work out for yourself from those figures if you think over 1 million people needing hospital treatment will equate to a 'mild' infection.

- New cases: 26,976
- Average: 23,041 (+1,019)
- In hospital: 7,339 (+444)
- In ICU: 497 (+28)
- New deaths: 54
- Average: 27 (+3)

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1471203253010538502

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15043 on December 15, 2021, 09:07:15 pm by SydneyRover »
The NHS was overwhelmed by 30000 people in hospital in Jan this year this is what it takes.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15044 on December 15, 2021, 09:12:46 pm by wilts rover »

Won't you?

Toodle pip Chaps.

I find cycling and listening to music (not at the same time, I just can't get on being out with earphones in) good for my mental wellbeing. I find listening/reading to the words of unqualified conspiracy theorists making up their own facts and ignoring the opinions of highly qualified and experienced scientific and medical experts about a dangerous, highly infectious invisible virus bad for my mental health.

As I said, we are all going to die one day nudga - even you. Some people will do that knowing they have done all they can to keep as many people as possible health and safe. Some wont.

Have a good evening.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #15045 on December 15, 2021, 09:22:39 pm by Nudga »

Won't you?

Toodle pip Chaps.

I find cycling and listening to music (not at the same time, I just can't get on being out with earphones in) good for my mental wellbeing. I find listening/reading to the words of unqualified conspiracy theorists making up their own facts and ignoring the opinions of highly qualified and experienced scientific and medical experts about a dangerous, highly infectious invisible virus bad for my mental health.

As I said, we are all going to die one day nudga - even you. Some people will do that knowing they have done all they can to keep as many people as possible health and safe. Some wont.

Have a good evening.

Have a great evening yourself Mr Wilts.

I suggest you put me on block then me old, last thing I want is for you to suffer with MH from my ramblings.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15046 on December 15, 2021, 09:22:59 pm by SydneyRover »
Wouldn't you bet on the safe side to avoid this again, putting the NHS staff, the whole country through it again?

January 2021

England currently has more than 30,000 patients in hospital with Covid-19. This is 62% more than at the first peak in April. Chris Whitty wrote in the Sunday Telegraph that the NHS faces the “most dangerous situation in living memory” and hospitals could be overwhelmed within two weeks. The London mayor, Sadiq Khan, declared a Covid emergency in the capital, warning that its NHS was already overwhelmed. Each new day of record admissions turns the screw on frontline staff. The problem is that while the NHS, government ministers and scientists are all sounding the alarm, there is also a reluctance to spell out exactly what this means.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/12/overwhelmed-nhs-covid-britain-hospitals

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #15047 on December 15, 2021, 09:24:43 pm by scawsby steve »

Won't you?

Toodle pip Chaps.

Have a good evening.

Quite right, Wilts. So would you say that the SA doctor who discovered Omicron and has described it as extremely mild and shouldn't cause panicking, is a highly qualified and experienced medical expert?

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #15048 on December 15, 2021, 09:29:49 pm by TheFunk »
Don't forget the daily figures are only new infections as reinfections aren't counted. Nobody previously infected has any natural immunity to Omicron.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15049 on December 15, 2021, 09:35:52 pm by SydneyRover »
This should also reinforce the message that until the rich western world digs deep and helps the rest of the world the threat of this pandemic and others will always be there.

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."

John Donne

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15050 on December 15, 2021, 09:40:12 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
SS.

With respect, you're missing the massive point.

We all hope that Omicron is milder. But even if it only puts people in hospital at half the rate of Delta, if it infects 10 times as many people over the next month, that's still a lot more hospital cases.

THAT'S the issue that I think people are struggling with. If Omicron cases keep doubling every 2 days from now to Xmas, all the previous daily infections are going to look like a little squiggle at the bottom of the graph in comparison.

If that does happen, and that's what's scaring very serious scientists, it doesn't take a very big proportion of those cases to be severe to totally swamp the NHS for two months.   

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #15051 on December 15, 2021, 09:40:19 pm by Filo »
China has only ever had one wave of infections, which is really strange considering covid origins

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15052 on December 15, 2021, 09:43:17 pm by Dagenham Rover »
China has only ever had one wave of infections, which is really strange considering covid origins

But have they  I wouldnt presume they are telling the truth  ;)

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #15053 on December 15, 2021, 09:48:20 pm by normal rules »
In China, if you don’t do as your told, you get shot.
If you speak out against the regime, you disappear.
If you are a dissenter, you cease to exist.

People question the uk govt. why on earth would anyone believe anything coming out of China?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #15054 on December 15, 2021, 09:51:06 pm by scawsby steve »
SS.

With respect, you're missing the massive point.

We all hope that Omicron is milder. But even if it only puts people in hospital at half the rate of Delta, if it infects 10 times as many people over the next month, that's still a lot more hospital cases.

THAT'S the issue that I think people are struggling with. If Omicron cases keep doubling every 2 days from now to Xmas, all the previous daily infections are going to look like a little squiggle at the bottom of the graph in comparison.

If that does happen, and that's what's scaring very serious scientists, it doesn't take a very big proportion of those cases to be severe to totally swamp the NHS for two months.

I'm only the messenger. What you're saying is that the SA doctor is missing the massive point.

Strange that, because I'd have thought that having discovered Omicron, she'd be a bigger expert on it than anyone else.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #15055 on December 15, 2021, 09:58:47 pm by roversdude »
If the wave is going to be so huge why are the Nightingale Hospitals not being readied, genuine question as I have heard no mention of them

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15056 on December 15, 2021, 09:59:40 pm by SydneyRover »
Look who's in charge

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15057 on December 15, 2021, 10:04:29 pm by SydneyRover »
''Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) advice for the public: Mythbusters''

quite a catalogue

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #15058 on December 15, 2021, 10:26:11 pm by Ldr »
If the wave is going to be so huge why are the Nightingale Hospitals not being readied, genuine question as I have heard no mention of them

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/nightingale-sunderland-for-sale-vaccine-22327383

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #15059 on December 15, 2021, 10:42:43 pm by BigH »
Herd immunity can take years to achieve.

It was our misfortune to have a government - and some advisors - that thought it could reach HI in 6 months. Until someone pointed out that we'd run out of hospital beds inside a fortnight and possibly end up with 500,000 dead.

We're a nation of 65m people. If 100k people got it every day that's still the thick end of 2 years for everyone to get it. Even if 25m are triple jabbed - and of those 25% would still not be protected given the efficacy level of the vaccine - that still leaves c18 months for it to run through the whole population.

Of 41m un(der)jabbed people who contracted it, 5% would likely end up in hospital. That's around 2m people over 18 mths or an average of c3700 people a day. Let's say these numbers are 50% out, that's still >2000 people a day into hospital.

Now my 'back of a fag packet' maths might be dodgy but the bottom line is if you let this thing rip your health service falls over.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012