Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 10:22:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 854303 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #16470 on May 18, 2022, 06:32:09 pm by selby »
Do you class yourself as an average person then Syd?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16471 on May 18, 2022, 11:34:05 pm by bpoolrover »
Do you class yourself as an average person then Syd?
i look forward to the answer lol

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16472 on May 18, 2022, 11:39:12 pm by SydneyRover »
the gibberish twins, you and selby speak the same language bp
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 11:45:48 pm by SydneyRover »

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #16473 on May 26, 2022, 07:47:20 am by no eyed deer »
I can't believe this topic has just drifted by, like chucking a stick into a river.

This deadly virus, so harmful even the government partied all the way through.

Some people who had so much  to say on this, are now doing the same on other topics.

Some people who are moaning about the cost of living, but were in favour of lockdowns.

And what do we truly know this virus  ?

Its came from a laboratory, the same as the miracle cure.

The WHO will soon be more powerful than governments.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16474 on May 26, 2022, 11:26:20 am by selby »
  You have too much time on your hands Syd achieving sod all, find something useful to do.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16475 on May 26, 2022, 12:59:50 pm by wilts rover »
I can't believe this topic has just drifted by, like chucking a stick into a river.

Some people who had so much  to say on this, are now doing the same on other topics.

Some people who are moaning about the cost of living, but were in favour of lockdowns.

Eh?

A deadly virus has always been more powerful than any government.

Its the WHO's job to advise them how to deal with with it.

All pandemics have passed eventually.

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #16476 on May 26, 2022, 02:17:32 pm by no eyed deer »

Eh?

Eh?

The WHO and independent, corporate funded organisation, that looks after everybody and advises  governments ?

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #16478 on May 28, 2022, 10:46:58 pm by Nudga »

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16479 on June 13, 2022, 09:41:30 am by ravenrover »
So Jesus is having breakfast with his Dad
Where have you been these last 2 years Dad?
Yorkshire
Yorkshire!?? Don't you know there has been a pandemic these last 2 years?
Yes, I do Son?
So what were you doing in Yorkshire these last 2 years?
Working from home Son, working from home

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16480 on June 29, 2022, 12:52:08 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Might be folks don't want to say, but how have you gone with vaccines following the initial two? Are you continuing with the booster programme?

I'm not looking for a discussion on pros and cons of vaccines, more whether people have decided enough is enough.

I've had none, but anyway would think such frequent "boosting" is a bit much. Had cv twice, Jan 2020, April 2022.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #16481 on June 29, 2022, 02:32:15 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
If scientists tell me it's worth having I'll have it.  Trust the experts.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #16482 on June 29, 2022, 02:33:17 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Fascinating how many people had COVID in January 2020. I work with 2 who are insistent that they did (although they are also insistent about a lot of shit that they absorb online).

But let's have a think. It's well established that the doubling time for COVID cases before mitigation was widespread was around 3 days. So let's assume that there were just 1000 people infected in the UK in mid January (makes it very unusual that I know 2 personally and am acquainted with another one in here, but stick with it).

We introduced lockdown on 24 March. Say 70 days later.

70 days is time for 23 doublings. So by 24 March, there would have been time for 16 billion infections in the UK. Of course, this wouldn't have happened - we'd have hit herd immunity well before that, and the disease would have already naturally declined (killing maybe half a million people in the meantime). Even  if the pre-lockdown doubling time was as long as 5 days (and no study has indicated that), there would have been 32 million infection in the UK by late March, and we would have effectively been at herd immunity by early April. Which of course, we weren't. Not remotely close.

Conclusion: Folk who reckon they had COVID in Jan 2020 are almost certainly wrong.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #16483 on June 29, 2022, 03:25:52 pm by Nudga »
Wow

Conclusion: Folk who reckon they had COVID in Jan 2020 are almost certainly wrong

Even Chris Witty said in the very early stages that most people would only suffer slight symptoms.
Surely you remember the asymptotic b*llocks and "Act like you've got it".

Maybe you're in the wrong job BST.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #16484 on June 29, 2022, 03:56:20 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Wow

Conclusion: Folk who reckon they had COVID in Jan 2020 are almost certainly wrong

Even Chris Witty said in the very early stages that most people would only suffer slight symptoms.
Surely you remember the asymptotic b*llocks and "Act like you've got it".

Maybe you're in the wrong job BST.

What do symptoms have to do with it Nudga? or jobs?  What I was talking about was how many people would be infected after X days of the cases (symptomatic or asymptomatic) doubling every Y days. That's GSCE maths.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #16485 on June 29, 2022, 04:01:13 pm by Nudga »
Get as many cases as you want with a dodgy test.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #16486 on June 29, 2022, 04:07:42 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It's got nothing whatsoever to do with testing.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16487 on June 29, 2022, 05:16:34 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Denying covid BST? Ah well. I know I had it, as did my mum at the end of Jan 2020 - we'd both had flu in Nov/Dec. We were both talking about both having a weird flu thing (note this is before anyone had a Scooby about covid) where we were totally wiped out initially but no usual flu symptoms like achey bones/joints and then no snottiness, but could barely walk from room to room from an inability to respire. As we were recovering, about a week later, we both talked about extreme exhaustion walking up hills - ie again having severe respiration problems. Slow recovery and 4 to 6 weeks later all fine.

I know others who had similar at the same time including one who had been skiing in northern Italy.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #16488 on June 29, 2022, 05:21:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Then how do you account for the lack of spread in Jan/Feb?

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16489 on June 29, 2022, 05:37:46 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I know I stayed indoors for over a week. Mum did too. Pretty easy to do in Jan/Feb.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #16490 on June 29, 2022, 05:42:12 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
But we know that COVID is highly transmissible in the pre-symptomatic stage. And we also know that many people have only mild symptoms and wouldn't necessarily have stayed indoors when they had it. You're concentrating on one aspect of your own experience, rather than the big picture. Which is that, with what we know of the doubling rate, it is simply not feasible for many people to have had COVID in January and there still "only" being 3-4 million cases by the end of March. The numbers don't work.

It CAN work, if you assume the reproduction rate is about half that which all the scientific studies point to. And there were only a few dozen people infected in January. But that would require both for the scientists to be wrong  AND you to literally be 1 in a million.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 05:47:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16491 on June 29, 2022, 05:51:42 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I've also heard people say they've had covid when it was most likely flu. Who knows how the stats add up, they've been a mess through the whole pandemic, not least the flippin "deaths with" nonsense. But I do know I had it. So v similar to the tested version 2 years later, just less of a respiratory focus.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #16492 on June 29, 2022, 05:57:09 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BRR.
What other people have claimed is not the point here. We know from seroprevalence studies how many people actually HAD had COVID at various times. And none of the numbers are remotely consistent with there being more than a handful of people having it in January, and the reproduction rate being correct. There's no arguing with that. Either you didn't have it in January, or you were an extremely unusual case AND the science is wrong.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16493 on June 29, 2022, 06:10:04 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
"Science" wrong - no way! I'll deny the actual evidence in favour of theory then, no doubt it's peer reviewed theory in which case it's fact, at least till the next fact comes to light :lol:

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #16494 on June 29, 2022, 06:25:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BRR.
And that's the issue. You're misunderstanding the nature of the science.

It's not a comparison of the evidence against a theory. Evidence ALWAYS wins that argument.

It's about the fact that everything we know about the population -wide evidence goes against what you are positing as your specific evidence.

And just as evidence trumps theory, widely-based evidence trumps individual claims.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #16495 on June 29, 2022, 07:29:10 pm by Nudga »
Is Pasteurs germ theory still theory?

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16496 on June 29, 2022, 07:55:41 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
BRR.

It's not a comparison of the evidence against a theory. Evidence ALWAYS wins that argument.

It's about the fact that everything we know about the population -wide evidence goes against what you are positing as your specific evidence.

And just as evidence trumps theory, widely-based evidence trumps individual claims.
But I had it. Either that or a virus with identical symptoms that hasnt been listed yet. Strange my mum had the same. I'm not trying to convince you, or any government scientists.

Anyway, just wondering if folks are still following the booster programme. I know lots who were very happy with first vaccine/s but have at some point decided to step off the programme.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #16497 on June 29, 2022, 08:08:32 pm by Nudga »
Pretty obvious I didn't get any of the vaccines and brushed covid off fairly quickly.
I reckon I would have brushed it off quicker if I hadn't have had sinusitis leading up to covaids.
A lot of my vaxxed mates have had covaids worse than me though. How they mocked me for not wanting the vaccine, each and everyone of them has come out with the golden line "I dread to think what it would have been like without the vaccines"

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #16498 on June 29, 2022, 08:28:01 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Nudga. I know I'm banging on a locked door, but individual cases don't say anything. Most people do survive COVID with little trouble, vaccinated or not. The fact that you did is not unusual. It's what happens on the level of millions of cases that matters. You don't need a big percentage to have problems for the whole health system to grind to a halt.

You didn't have to experience that because most people did the sensible thing. That gave space for you to do what you wanted.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #16499 on June 29, 2022, 09:07:36 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BRR.

But I had it. Either that or a virus with identical symptoms that hasnt been listed yet. Strange my mum had the same. I'm not trying to convince you, or any government scientists.

Anyway, just wondering if folks are still following the booster programme. I know lots who were very happy with first vaccine/s but have at some point decided to step off the programme.

BRR

You may well have had it. So may any of the thousands and thousands of others whoreckon they had it at the same time. My point is that that doesn't tie in with everything else we know about the epidemic. And that suggests that most of you didn't have it.

Back in 2008, we didn't have a bad flu outbreak. But I had the worst respiratory illness I've ever had. As did my wife (I actually thought she wasn't going to survive childbirth, she was so ill) and my brother.

Symptoms were a horrible fever, shocking muscle and joint aches, delerium and the worst lower respiratory tract rawness I could imagine. I could barely get out of bed for a week. It took months to get over it and in many ways I never did, fully.

That would tick many COVID boxes. Sounds like your illness in fact. But obviously it wasn't COVID-19.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012