Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:57:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 861062 times)

rtid88

• Forum Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #900 on March 22, 2020, 01:19:36 pm by rtid88 »
Unfortunately no matter what leadership there is in this country it will never take away the amount of stupidity and selfishness that is inherent in this country now.
There is nothing that can be done to change the mindsets of the idiots that are continuing their days as if nothing is happening, or the ones that are going out panic buying!
Despite the continuous warnings of there being no need for panic buying I went to pick up a few bits from Tesco's in Balby this morning, being an NHS worker I went 1st thing as they opened an hour earlier for NHS staff and the car park was already full and a queue of at least 50/100 people outside...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #901 on March 22, 2020, 01:54:44 pm by River Don »
On the positive side, as of 11.30 this morning no fewer than 5,633 retired nurses have signed up to offer their services to the NHS. Everyone of them in a higher risk category.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #902 on March 22, 2020, 01:59:41 pm by rtid88 »

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #903 on March 22, 2020, 03:52:20 pm by drfc1951 »
Reports that the East Coast seaside towns are seeing greater numbers than expected too.

This bit of sunny weather is encouraging people to treat it as a little holiday break. They need to clamp down now, it's obvious.
Thats true loads of motorhomes coming into Brid , hardly anything in the supermarkets for locals.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #904 on March 22, 2020, 05:34:57 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Might just be the first signs of positive news for us in the UK. The numbers of reported deaths have started falling below the trends that similar countries had at the same stage of the outbreak.

Four days ago, we are at around 150 deaths. Since then, we've had 184 reported deaths.

If you look at the four days after similar countries were at around 150 deaths, and see how many died over the next few days, you get:

Italy 259
France 245
Spain 256.

That is a major difference between us and those countries. It means that, at the moment (and hopefully, continuing) we are on a slower rate of growth in deaths than those countries were at the same stage. That wasn't the case just as recently as last Tues/Weds, when our deaths were growing at a rate as fast they had been doing at the same stage.

No guarantee that this is going to continue (and the sensible ones among us should be f**king livid at the idiots who have been out on day trips today) but it's a chink of positive light. At the moment, we have, briefly, started tracking China, rather than Italy. Fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 05:39:17 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #905 on March 22, 2020, 05:44:35 pm by Copps is Magic »
Italy just reported their lowest daily increase in both cases (10%) and deaths (13.5%) since the virus took a hold there. Only one day, but part of a broader trend, and very promising.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #906 on March 22, 2020, 05:48:31 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It is CiM.

It's confirming that Italy's growth rate of deaths is definitely slowing. They will still do well to get out of this first wave with fewer than 20,000 deaths, but, to be brutal, that is manageable.

I'm more optimistic than I've been since the start of this that the Western countries can get this first wave under control. The key then is preparedness for managing the release of the lockdown and re-imposition as the cases start to pick up. And for massive increase in capacity of ICUs.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #907 on March 22, 2020, 05:50:32 pm by scawsby steve »
The ones out on day trips today are probably the same sort of people who've been raping the supermarkets without thought for the elderly and vulnerable who've been close to starvation this last week, with no access to bread, milk, nor anything else.

Selfish, moronic, idiotic tw*ts.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #908 on March 22, 2020, 06:17:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #909 on March 22, 2020, 06:26:24 pm by Copps is Magic »
Richmond park apparently should have been closed this morning but not been affective obviously if that photo is from today. Its a matter of what you show, Time Square has been empty for several days now, but several beaches in the US have been packed with people for spring break. Already confirmed cases of people getting the virsus and spreading it around their communities once they get back home.

The broader things I am reading from/about the US are all very very worrying. I think they are on the cusp of a major crisis far surpassing what happened in Italy/China.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #910 on March 22, 2020, 06:31:17 pm by Nudga »
If you scroll down further then you'll see a busy Central Park.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #911 on March 22, 2020, 06:39:29 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
America is in for a nightmare time. They have been caught totally off guard. They didn't even have a Pandemic planning group in Washington because Trump dispensed with it two years ago.

And did you hear what he said a couple of weeks back?

"It's going to disappear. One day it's like a miracle, it will disappear."

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #912 on March 22, 2020, 07:06:35 pm by wilts rover »
I have been out on the bike today, lots of others out to but that's fairly normal on that route. Traffic seemed heavier than a normal Sunday mind.

2 country pubs open, 3 closed (although one with a sign saying they are serving take-aways). Mobile home lodge park seemed to have plenty of cars in it - as did the caravan site around a fishing lake - where the cafe was still open.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #913 on March 22, 2020, 07:13:16 pm by albie »
A bit more detail on the development of Government policy in The Canary;
https://www.thecanary.co/uk/2020/03/22/claim-that-pms-special-adviser-dominic-cummings-was-callous-about-coronavirus-deaths/

There will need to be a reckoning once this nightmare is over.
I mentioned some time ago about "culpable negligence"......it is looking like a strategy of leaving the weak and vulnerable to fail.

We should all be concerned that these people remain at the wheel.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #914 on March 22, 2020, 07:25:02 pm by River Don »
I didn't see tonight's press conference.

Apparently there was something about careers needing protective clothing, is this right?

I look after my Mum and she's likely to be in the category of vulnerable people required to lockdown for the next 12 weeks. I haven't been able to find anything online about this yet.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #915 on March 22, 2020, 07:32:56 pm by Filo »

Apparently there was something about careers needing protective clothing, is this right?

I look after my Mum and she's likely to be in the category of vulnerable people required to lockdown for the next 12 weeks. I haven't been able to find anything online about this yet.

Never heard that, but I’m not saying it was n’t mentioned though, 1.5m people will get letters telling them to isolate for 12 week

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #916 on March 22, 2020, 08:38:05 pm by drfchound »
I have been out on the bike today, lots of others out to but that's fairly normal on that route. Traffic seemed heavier than a normal Sunday mind.

2 country pubs open, 3 closed (although one with a sign saying they are serving take-aways). Mobile home lodge park seemed to have plenty of cars in it - as did the caravan site around a fishing lake - where the cafe was still open.

Traffic through Hatfield noticeably down today.
I had an email today from the Caravan Club saying that as of today, all their sites are closing down until the end of June initially.
Anyone on one of their sites has to pack up and go home straight away.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #917 on March 22, 2020, 08:54:48 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I'm a caravanner and got the same email. We had planned to go to Thirsk racecourse for our first outing of the season in a couple of weeks but it looks like it's going to be a bit of a non-eventful touring year.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #918 on March 22, 2020, 09:10:35 pm by IDM »

Never heard that, but I’m not saying it was n’t mentioned though, 1.5m people will get letters telling them to isolate for 12 week

Aren’t those letters advising (again) rather than mandating.?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #919 on March 22, 2020, 09:18:42 pm by River Don »

I think my Mam has got it wrong. I can't see the a need for protection unless there is an infection. Thought I'd better check, ta.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #920 on March 22, 2020, 09:24:34 pm by Filo »

Well I suppose thats open to interpretation, which goes to my other point, this is not strong decisive leadership, as much as I hate Thatcher, she would have been on this by now!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #922 on March 22, 2020, 09:38:24 pm by IDM »

Well I suppose thats open to interpretation, which goes to my other point, this is not strong decisive leadership, as much as I hate Thatcher, she would have been on this by now!

It is only advisory.  The only compulsory measures I am aware of so far in this country are the closure of pubs, restaurants, cinemas etc.

Everything else is advised or strongly advised, “should” etc.. but if we don’t follow the advice the PM is threatening tougher measures.

Comes across like a bit of an old fashioned parent to me.

If we need to have compulsory measures, albeit unpopular ones, just f**king get on with it and do it.!

Meanwhile plenty of folks will take the piss, ignoring the advice, panic buying etc.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #923 on March 22, 2020, 09:50:16 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Updated death-trend graph.

Interesting...the trends appear to be diverging. Looks tentatively like we may have have bent the curve downwards earlier than other European countries which would be very, very good news if true. France looks to have broken out below the Italy trend too, but Spain is looking in trouble.

This does look like the tipping point. If we can keep that trend going like that (and if the Kitsons who went out on day trips today don;t undo all that good work in a week's time), we could survive this first wave fairly well. Then get ready fast for the subsequent waves.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #924 on March 22, 2020, 10:04:47 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Our two friends have been stuck in Tenerife for two weeks (originally planned to be a one week break). They’ve been texting us & telling us that the streets & beach were empty as patrolling police were stopping & questioning anyone they came across who was outside.

They were in self catering & had to ‘dodge out’ using side streets to avoid being stopped by the authorities, in order to stock up with essentials until they could get a flight home.

They told us they joined in impromptu singing from their small balcony, much as we’ve all seen on tv reports.

They eventually got on a flight home in the early hours of Saturday morning. Great to know our friends are home however, no one on that flight was advised to self isolate at home for a period having come from a Country which is in lock down because of Covid-19.

So now we have 200+ people from that flight alone no doubt busying themselves back into society here as they food shop etc. without being tested for the virus.

Multiply this one incident that I can give you as a factual account by x ? of people being brought home from mainland Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece etc., & it begs the question why isn’t the government insisting these travellers self isolate or better still be tested when they land back in the UK?

It beggars belief!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #925 on March 22, 2020, 10:14:10 pm by SydneyRover »
It's beyond belief that people need to be told to self isolate when returning from areas of high infection but they do which is why the message coming from the government needs to be unambiguous

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #926 on March 22, 2020, 10:29:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
On a side note, it looks like touching people with your elbows doesn't protect you from C-19.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51995470

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #927 on March 22, 2020, 10:44:27 pm by River Don »
The weather forecast is for a bright sunny spring week. Just what we don't need when we are wanting people to stay inside.

The news just showed idiots working out at a park gym today. The voice over calmly stating the stainless steel bars and grips on the equipment can hold the virus for three days...

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #928 on March 22, 2020, 10:46:07 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
seriously think we need a theme song to get the message over to the snowflakes

otherwise the police will take control in another way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNIZofPB8ZM

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #929 on March 22, 2020, 11:42:58 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Watch this.

Think about what they are saying.

Do what they tell you.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BelfastTrust/status/1241796409323634690

This is a time to decide which side you are on. You can help us get through this crisis. Or you can make it worse.

Your choice.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012